chapter 35

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

FIREHEART'S HACKLES BRISTLED with horror. Whiterose's green gaze widened in icy shock. How could Graystripe be so stupid? He was breaking every part of the warrior code by meeting with this cat from another Clan.

"Graystripe!" Whiterose watched her brother leap out of the bushes. The two cats spun around and Silverstream's ears flattened angrily. Whiterose calmly stepped out and stopped beside her angry brother. Graystripe stared at them. "You followed me!"

Whiterose shook her head. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Don't you know how dangerous this is?"

Silverstream spoke up. "It's okay, Whiterose," she meowed. "There won't be a patrol here until sunset."

"You can't be sure of that, can you? As if you know all of your Clan's movements!" Fireheart growled.

Silverstream lifted her chin smugly. "Actually, I do. My father is Crookedstar, the leader of RiverClan."

Fireheart froze. "What are you playing at?" he spat at Graystripe. "Could you have chosen worse?"

Graystripe met his eyes for an instant, then turned to Silverstream. "I'd better go," he mewed.

Silverstream blinked slowly and stretched her head forward to touch his cheek. They closed their eyes and remained still for a moment. Whiterose watched in curiosity, her paws prickling with alarm. What would it be like to love a cat like Graystripe does? Silverstream whispered something into Graystripe's ear and the two cats stepped apart. The RiverClan she-cat raised her head and stared challengingly into Fireheart's eyes before nodding trustingly to Whiterose. She then slipped back into the river.

Whiterose knew what she silently asked. To keep this quiet, for Graystripe's sake.

Graystripe bounded over to their sides and the three of them didn't speak as they raced out of RiverClan territory and back past Sunningrocks. As they approached the camp, Graystripe slowed his pace.

Fireheart and Whiterose slowed, too. "You must stop seeing her," he panted.

"I can't," replied Graystripe hoarsely. He coughed, his sides heaving, which made Whiterose sneeze, remembering her chill.

"I don't understand," Fireheart meowed. "RiverClan is completely hostile toward ThunderClan at the moment. You heart Leopardfur after Whiteclaw died. How do you even know you can trust Silverstream?"

"You don't know Silverstream," Graystripe spat back then looked pleadingly into Whiterose's eyes. He must know her friendship with the RiverClan she-cat.

Whiterose sniffled. "I'm sure Silverstream knows it's an accident. The gorge was no place for a battle. Any cat could have fallen in there. But Fireheart is right," she added. "You can't keep seeing Silverstream."

Fireheart began to circle Graystripe and lick the scent of Silverstream from his fur. "It doesn't matter what Silverstream thinks! What about your loyalty to ThunderClan?" he demanded. "You're breaking the Clan code by seeing her!"

Graystripe stopped washing. "You don't think I know that?" he hissed. "You doubt my loyalty to ThunderClan?"

"What else can we think? You can't see her without lying to the Clan. And what if we have a battle with RiverClan? Have you thought about that?"

"You worry too much," Graystripe snapped. "It won't come to that—"

"How can you be so sure?" Whiterose narrowed her eyes. "You're not StarClan."

Fireheart nodded. "And RiverClan doesn't seem to be acting peacefully. You know they've been hunting in Sunningrocks. Our territory."

"They've been hunting at Sunningrocks before I was kitted."

"Okay," Whiterose mewed. "What if a RiverClan patrol catches you?"

"Silverstream won't let that happen!"

Fireheart let out a growl of frustration. "For StarClan's sake, aren't you even a bit worried?" Fireheart burst out, exasperated.

Graystripe stopped washing and looked up at both his friends. "You don't get it, do you? StarClan must have planned for this. Look, Silverstream wants to see me – even after what happened to Whiteclaw. We share the same thoughts; it's as if we were born into the same Clan."

Whiterose realised it was pointless to argue any longer. She then spoke, "Still, it's not good for you."

"Oh, like how it's good for you to be around Tigerclaw so much?" Graystripe snapped.

Whiterose froze. "What do you mean?"

"Oh, please. You and Tigerclaw moon after each other like foxes in heat!"

Fireheart narrowed his eyes. "That's enough. Leave her alone." He turned to Whiterose. "Let's go, sister."

Whiterose gave one glare toward the grey warrior before bounding after Fireheart, leaving Graystripe alone to his thoughts.

Fireheart gave her concerned glances every now and then but she eased them with a purr and playful hip bump. When they entered camp, Whitestorm approached them.

"Whiterose, you should be resting, not hanging around out in the cold. That cough of yours has already spread. We don't want it getting into the nursery!" warned the warrior. Whiterose bowed her head to the senior warrior. "Of course, sorry, Whitestorm."

Whiterose then padded away to the warriors den to rest. A couple moments later, Fireheart padded in and laid in his nest next to her.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Yellowfang is running low on supplies and both Patchpelt and Snowkit have begun to show signs of Whitecough."

"That doesn't sound good."

"It's not but Yellowfang says that it's not serious at the moment. She also said to stay in the den from now on unless you're going to make dirt and get a drink. You're a strong warrior but your cough should have gotten better by now."

"I know but I feel so cramped inside the warriors den..."

"Nonetheless... I will bring prey for you."

"Thanks."

Fireheart left the den just as Graystripe entered. Fireheart gave his friend a cold glare before disappearing. Graystripe shrugged it off and went over to his nest nearby Fireheart's. He sent a amber glance toward Whiterose before turning his back toward her.

She flicked her ear and laid her chin on her paws.

She thought about what he had said.

strongest and the biggest warrior in the Clan. The deputy and most fearless cat in all the four Clans.

Whiterose felt herself heat up in embarrassment.

Was she in love with Tigerclaw? And did he feel the same?