chapter 37

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE OPENED HER eyes at the sight of a starry serene. Looking around, she spotted a familiar, thick-furred golden tom with pale green eyes. Whiterose sat up and slowly padded over to him. "Lionheart?" she asked, wide-eyed.

"Hello, young Whiterose," Lionheart meowed, seeming younger and healthier than he was before his death.

The bushes rustled nearby, and a beautiful tortoiseshell she-cat stepped out along with a grey, dappled tom with blue eyes. Whiterose mewed with delight. "Spottedleaf!" She looked at the tom with confusion. "Who is this?"

"I'm Goosefeather," the tom meowed. "A medicine cat before Spottedleaf's mentor, Featherwhisker."

Whiterose froze, looking around once more. She turned to Lionheart with horror-filled eyes. "Am... Am I dead?"

Lionheart shook his head. "No. Yellowfang and Redstream are treating your wounds. Cinderpaw is also helping them."

"Cinderpaw?" Whiterose echoed. "Is she alright?"

"My daughter is safe," Lionheart mewed. "Thanks to you."

Whiterose completely forgot Brackenpaw and Cinderpaw's father was Lionheart. Lionheart also had two kits in the nursery, Thornkit and Brightkit. Whiterose shuffled her paws. "If I'm not dead then why am I in StarClan?"

"Because this is where one's consciousness will be when they are in a comatose state," Goosefeather replied, flicking his tail tip. "It will be quick for you, but for your Clanmates it will be moons until you wake up."

"How many moons?"
"From what we are looking at, most likely only three."

Whiterose sighed in relief. That wasn't too long.

Spottedleaf touched Whiterose's cheek gently with her nose. "You were hit by that monster and received serious injuries. Yellowfang determined that three of your ribs were broken and some muscle was torn and bruised."

Whiterose's pelt bristled as she recalled the incoming monster, the pain she felt and how Tigerclaw had carried her back to camp as gently as he could. She remembered Fireheart's fear-scent and Cinderpaw's loud apologies and even Darkstripe emerging from Snake Rocks.

"When will I wake up?"

Goosefeather shook his head. "Not now, but soon. Until then, we must speak with you."

"It's very important," Spottedleaf meowed. Then, slowly, her eyes glazed over. "There will be cats who will all combine as the fifth Clan."

Whiterose shuddered, her pelt prickling at her words. "You've said this to me before."