chapter 42

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

WHITEROSE KNEW WHEN the patrol came back as quick as they came that the river had thawed when they got there. By the time Fireheart padded through the gorse tunnel, Tigerclaw was already explaining to the disappointed Clan that the river had thawed.

Whiterose watched as her brother skirted the edge of the clearing. He must be looking for Graystripe.

Midnightclaw sat with Whiterose when the white cat watched her brother disappear behind the nursery. The two she-cats shared tongues.

"Disappointing that the patrol got there too late," Midnightclaw meowed. "Maybe it will be frozen again tomorrow morning?"

"Maybe—" Suddenly, there was a loud screech and a blur orange and grey rolled into the clearing, biting and scratching. The cats in the clearing, including Midnightclaw and Whiterose, leaped out of the way

Blinding by pain and anger at the sight of his brother's head being forced into the snow, Whiterose leaped forward and slammed into Graystripe's flank, pushing him off of Fireheart. Fireheart got back up and joined Whiterose, batting Graystripe's ears before screeching in pain as the grey warrior bit into his hind leg.

Whiterose hissed and raked Graystripe above his eye. Graystripe retaliated by lunging and toppling over, making her hiss in pain as she was balled onto her back. Pain flared up through her ribs. Graystripe too the advantage to cuff her ears. Fireheart was still dazed from the bite.

Whiterose struggled to get the larger cat off of her, hissing with rage, she was, however, relieved of her burden as a pair of unusually long front claws dug into Graystripe's pelt, and hauled him off of her.

Whiterose scrambled to her paws, her amputated leg and her flank painfully. Her green eyes widened in surprise when she realised the cat who pulled off Graystripe was Tigerclaw.

Whiterose stared at the bristling dark tabby main coon warrior in astonishment. Tigerclaw gave a warning hiss toward Graystripe and spoke in a dangerous tone. "That is enough!" Tigerclaw's eyes went to Fireheart, who was limping towards Whiterose. Whiterose pressed against her brother as he supported her.

Tigerclaw's eyes were glowing like to angry amber coals.

"What is going on?" Bluestar's stern voice made Fireheart and Whiterose turn towards her leader. Redstream came bounding forwards, coming to sniff along Whiterose's leg and side.

"Fireheart, I want to see you in my den-now!" Bluestar growled, her blue eyes flashing fire. "Redstream, take Whiterose back into the medicine cat's den. Graystripe—" Bluestar gave him a hard-stone glare "—go back to your nest and stay there."

At their leader's orders the rest of the Clan melted away into the shadows. Whiterose let Redstream lead her to the medicine cat's den as she limped after her. She kept her eyes fixed on the ground, feeling worn out and confused.

Whiterose didn't even realize the much larger shadow following her until she heard the rustling of leaves through the tunnel to the medicine cat's den. Turning her head quickly she saw the broad head of Tigerclaw as he pushed his way through the tunnel. Whiterose felt her heart warm as he didn't say anything. Redstream fussed over the white cat's disturbed injuries, straightening her leg out and putting more herbal goop on it. All while scolding Whiterose for her carelessness. It wasn't until Redstream was done tending to her did the looming main coon speak.

"What was that all about?" he demanded, his eyes boring into her own. Whiterose hesitated before shaking her head. As furious as she was, she could not reveal her friend's secret, even to the cat that she loved.

Tigerclaw snorted out an angry hiss, his tail lashing in frustration. "You're not going to tell me what the fight was about, are you?" Tigerclaw looked away, his eyes narrowed in anger and annoyance, but also slight hurt. Does he think that I trust Graystripe more than him?

Whiterose nudged his shoulder with her head, and caught his amber gaze with her own jade one. "Tigerclaw, I'm sorry. I can't explain." At least that much is true, she thought. Frustrated that she had to put Graystripe's secret above her trust in Tigerclaw.

"Fine," Tigerclaw hissed, his ear's flat with annoyance. Whiterose kept nudging her small head against his shoulder, and started to gently purr when he gave in and leaned down to wash her ears. Tigerclaw slowly then slid into the open space of the nest that Whiterose purposely left unoccupied, he curled his massive body carefully around her more smaller form. Tigerclaw was being slow and cautious, a great contrast than his usual fierceness and sternness.

"Thank you, Tigerclaw," Whiterose whispered, resting her head on the thick mane of his neck, burying her nose into it. Scenting his forest scent, "Tigerclaw, I-" she broke off, curling tighter to his side instead. She will wait to say what she has been wanting to say for moons.

But as she fell asleep, she didn't realise she mumbled those words loud enough for him to hear...