chapter 3

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

EARLY MORNING SUNLIGHT streamed down onto the camp as Whitepaw stretched the sleep out of her outside the apprentices' den. Firepaw and Graypaw left only moments before, in search of prey. Midnightpaw was next to Whitepaw, cleaning the moss from her black-and-white pelt. 

Two moons have passed since the beginning of her training and she had learnt so much from Tigerclaw and Lionheart. She had bonded a bit with the queens and elders of the camp and brought them some prey every time she came back with some from training or patrols. But Whitepaw was taking some time getting used to the wild. She definitely found it better than Twolegplace, though.

Suddenly, someone pounced on Whitepaw's back and tackled her to the ground, claws sheathed. Whitepaw gasped and rolled on her back to see Midnightpaw. The she-cat began to playfully bat her ears and the white apprentice let out a meow before kicking Midnightpaw off of her gently with her back legs. When Midnightpaw was catching her footing, Whitepaw pounced on her and held her down to the ground by her chest. "What'd you do that for?"

"Just playing!" Midnightpaw laughed and got up when Whitepaw let her go. "You're getting better. Not a surprise since you're training with two of the best toms in the Clan."

Whitepaw flicked her ear in embarrassment, "They're good teachers. You were good at sneaking up on me."

"Thanks!" Midnightpaw puffed out her chest proudly. "It's my best stealth crouch!"

Whitepaw licked her paw from some grass that got stuck to it and then fluffed out her fur from more grass. Across the clearing, she saw Goldenflower beckon her over. Whitepaw nodded and said goodbye to Midnightpaw before bounding over.

The golden she-cat purred when she saw Whitepaw's happy bouncing in her steps. "You seem happy today, Whitepaw."

Whitepaw nodded, "Yes. I don't know why, though. It's just a lovely day today."

"It is isn't it?" Goldenflower mused and then watched Swiftkit play with a ball of moss. "I wanted to ask you if you can get some fresh moss? Our bedding is getting old."

"Of course!" Whitepaw meowed, "Do the other queens need any as well?"

"Oh, yes please!" Frostfur meowed, stepping out of the nursery. "Brackenkit and Cinderkit are getting quite restless in the nest. Don't forget some for Speckletail and Brindleface, wont you?"

"Okay, I won't!" Whitepaw meowed, padding away to the entrance of the camp and past Whitestorm who was talking with Willowpelt.

She reached the forest and breathed in its lovely fresh scent before making her way to find some fresh moss.

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱