chapter 2

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

⊰᯽⊱┈──╌❊❊╌──┈⊰᯽⊱

"HEY, WHITEPAW—FIREPAW! Wake up!" Graypaw's meow broke into Whitepaw's dream. She had been playing with a bunch of beautiful white doves in the forest.

"Training begins at sunrise. Dustpaw, Sandpaw and Midnightpaw are already up," Graypaw added urgently.

Whitepaw reluctantly got up, tripping on her paws for a moment. She wondered why he didn't mention Redpaw until she remembered she was a medicine cat apprentice, so she wouldn't do battle training. Firepaw had leapt to his paws and he excitedly nudged Whitepaw to the entrance. Whitepaw gave her brother an annoyed look before padding out the den and into the warm dawn light.

Graypaw followed, then sat down in front of them, giving himself a hasty wash. Between licks, he meowed, "I've just spoken to Lionheart. Ravenpaw won't be training with us till his wound gets better. He'll probably stay in Spottedleaf and Redpaw's den for another day or two. Dustpaw and Sandpaw are on hunting duty while Midnightpaw is battle training with Mousefur and Runningwind. So, Lionheart thought you two and I can train with him and Tigerclaw this morning. We'd better hurry, though," He added. "They'll be waiting!"

Whitepaw felt nervous at the sound of the two biggest toms in the Clan training them today, but she liked Lionheart, he was gentle. But Tigerclaw was the most intimidating cat she's ever met! It made her pelt slightly prickle.

Graypaw led them quickly through the gorse entrance of the camp and up the side of a rock-strewn valley. As they climbed up the crest of the ravine—without Whitepaw tripping—a cool breeze ruffled their fur. Fat, white clouds raced across the blue sky overhead. Whitepaw felt a sense of ease at the freedom from the camp as she followed her brother and his friend down a tree-shaded slope and into a sandy hollow.

Whitepaw gulped when she saw both Tigerclaw and Lionheart indeed waiting for them in the Sandy Hollow. Firepaw and Graypaw both seemed enthusiastic to start training, but Whitepaw felt extremely anxious, her pelt couldn't stop bristling. Tigerclaw seemed to notice this and snorted before he stood. "Come," he meowed impatiently. "Today we are going to show you the edges of the territory so that you know where you will be hunting and what boundaries you need to protect. Graypaw, it won't do you any harm to remind yourself of the Clan's outer limits."

Without another word, Tigerclaw leapt up and bounded out of the sandy hollow. Lionheart nodded to Graypaw and they took off with equal speed. Firepaw and Whitepaw scrambled after them, their paws slipping off the soft sand.

The trees were thick in this part of the forest, birch and ash trees overshadowed by mighty oaks. The ground was carpeted with crisp dead leaves that rustled beneath their paws. Tigerclaw paused to spray his scent on a thick clump of ferns. The other cats stopped beside him.

"There is a Twoleg path here," murmured Lionheart. "Use your nose, Firepaw. Can you smell anything?"

Firepaw sniffed. "A twoleg has walked his dog along here, but they are gone now," he mewed.