Sandwiches

(A/n please read the closing notes from me. Hope you enjoy☺️)

I woke up to chill bumps grazing my arms and an aching in my back. The linoleum floor of the music room, however surprisingly clean was cold and hard, not exactly bed material.

The sun was just beginning to rise and the campus was motionless while most everyone cherished these last few hours before their maddeningly annoying alarms would sound, signaling the start of another wretched day.

To my right a good four feet away was shawn laying on his side facing me and snoring slightly. He had his red flannel he'd been wearing draped over his shoulders like a blanket. I shook his shoulder softly then a little harder till finally his eyes forced open and he groaned. His face was contorted into a yawn and he looked at me intently as if waiting for instructions.

"Get up you lazy ass." I smiled cheekily before standing up and rubbing at my eyes which were probably lined with smeared mascara and eyeliner. "Alright I'm up, I'm up." His morning voice however cliche was deep and scratchy and undeniably hot as fuck.

"We'll have to leave right now if we don't want to get caught by the headmaster". Shawn says, standing up and throwing his flannel on over his black t-shirt.

I nod my response and walk beside shawn in the hallways, trying desperately to muffle my footsteps just in case a teacher decided to get up early and be extra annoying.

***

I stop in front of the boys dorm circle and smile at shawn preparing to walk alone the rest of the way to my dorm. "You don't honestly think I'd let you walk to your dorm alone do you?" His lips curve up into a smirk and I laugh quietly. " I'm completely capable of walking alone. It's almost sexist if you to think otherwise." I smile and turn on my heel leaving him for a moment to watch me walk away.

The thought then crosses my mind rather shamelessly 'I hope he's not looking at my ass' my not exactly flattering jeans I was wearing once fit quite nicely but now they sagged in odd places and had holes in the knees.

I hear the sound of Shawn's vans slapping the floor and watch as he runs ahead then turns around to face me, walking backwards. "I guess if you insist I'll let you come along for the trip but you sure as hell better not expect me to be making you any sandwiches for this." (A/n I sincerely hope you got that feminist reference)

"On the contrary actually it is I who shall be making you sandwiches that is of corse if you agree." Shawn's courage surprises me and I feel my cheeks turning scarlet. "Are you implying a date?" I stop walking for a moment and shawn stops too, still facing me. "Or more so two friends having food together on, oh I don't know a Saturday." My cheeks were definitely red now. "Deal, this Saturday."

Shawn's cheeks remained a slight pink and I bit the insides of my cheeks to keep from exploding into a huge smile.

For the remaining of the walk we stayed mostly quiet conversing with small smiles and shallow breaths till finally I bid my farewells and watched shawn walk down the halls of my dorm circle, back to his.

I unlocked the door quietly a small smile still present upon my lips, the unfamiliar but pleasant butterflies in my stomach feeling.

Madi is strewn in an unruly manner on her bed. Her mouth hangs open and I laugh at the hangover she'll be experiencing later on. I crawl into my own bed hoping to get at least a half hour of sleep before my classes began.

I did not sleep. I instead stared blankly at the ceiling in the dim light of the sun which had barely risen behind grey clouds, thinking about how I ended up here, how my whole existence came to be. Besides my parents fucking while drunk and me showing up nine months later, that was irrelevant. Was there a god? I had for one had given up on the idea a long time ago, the whole thing just sounded like something someone had made up while high. I wasn't an atheist however, I liked the idea of life after death but that was only because I didn't want to imagine dying as being it, just cold, rotting, nothingness. It was these kinds of thoughts that kept me up most nights, pondering over life and death, fate, if there was even such a thing.

*****
That was deep af Idek what I just wrote man.

For anyone wondering after this chapter I am in fact a Christian and believe very strongly in God but I am not my character, my character is Meredith and part of what makes her so interesting (I hope anyway) is her bluntness in situations and actions. She sees everything in not exactly a pessimist but a clear, for lack of a better term, no-bullshit view.

If you are to be offended by her 'Atheist' at times point of views which I can assure you will be a huge part of this book then I recommend you stop reading now. I would hope that you can recognize you're reading only a story and not become indignant, but I realize that some of us are not that mature.

Thank you for reading, Katie

Update 8/21/15 - this wasn't that big of a deal tbh.