Evening

I fold the last article of clothing from my bag and tuck it away in the top drawer of my splintery dresser.

A man around thirty with a slight beard and glasses that sat on the very bridge of his nose had stopped by earlier. He informed me that he was my counselor and I had his class for an hour everyday. I could come when I wanted there was no scheduled time but I had to go.

It was seven twenty and I rocked my feet up and down on the beige tile floor. My entire demeanor screamed anxiety as I stepped out of my room and into the hallway where depressed teens all swarmed. Each of them had dark circles like craters beneath their heavy full of sadness eyes. I couldn't help but wonder if the same look of grief and despair took place upon me as well.

I pushed myself forward, outlining my bruises with one finger subconsciously and letting a sinking feeling start.

I honestly had no idea of where I was going I just followed the path those in front of me made.

I stopped when I reached a room lit solely by windows. The sudden change in brightness stung my eyes and I looked around the room blindly.

Sitting in the corner was a boy. He was pale, and had chestnut colored hair that fell over his eyes.

The room I now noticed was by the looks of it a music room it seemed almost vacant like nobody had ventured in besides the boy in decades.

The boy still had not noticed me staring . He sat motionless staring at his hands, hunched over so that his elbows were rested on his knees.

Curious by him I stepped forward, pushing down on a bruise that was covering my thigh, out of habit.

My converse made a slight squeak when they hit the floor and the boy whose eyes I could now see were a warm hazel, looked up.

I opened my mouth to say something to him but the words wouldn't form. His jawline was prominent as well as his puffy red cheeks. It was obvious he'd been crying.

"Evening". The boy managed to choke out but it sounded less like like words and more like a cough.

"I'm sorry, I'll go". I turn to leave the room but I hear the chair the boy was sitting in slide out and I turn around.

The boy is standing now and I notice his height. He towers over my five four figure easily and I feel my self confidence shrink to the size of an ant.

I want desperately to know his name and I dig in to my arm with my nails nervously.

Neither one of us says anything we just stand silent and awkwardly staring down at our shoes.

I look up to the sound of pink magenta heels clapping the tile and stare into the beady eyes of the lady with pink cheeks and a forced personality.

"You two get to class this minute before I report you to your counselors".

I look over to the boy who is still staring at his shoes and then at the firm lips of the pink cheeked lady.

"And shawn I expect so much more from you. Out now".

Shawn. His name was Shawn.