Thinking of everything

My head sunk against the hot fabric of my pillows. It was early and the sun had just begun to rise, I didn't need to get up for another three hours but I couldn't convince myself to fall back asleep. My head was racing and I stared at the clock on my bedside table, watching the minutes pass.

Madi's even breaths were enough to tell me she was asleep and I stood up, giving up on the idea of rest. I pulled a t-shirt over my head and settled on my track shorts that were a couple years too short.

My feet felt cold through my shoes and I stepped out into the hallway with no plan of action. The campus was still asleep and not even the birds had begun to wake. I felt so alone standing there in the middle of the hallway... A weird unnatural kind of alone that bore into me. It was a feeling that was just beyond fear and somewhere to the left of sadness. Tired, but not the kind of tired that sleep fixes. It was dark and gloomy, and yet, it didn't seem it would get any better if the lights were turned up.

I follow the different paths, without a destination and watch the sun rise slowly. I knew it was beautiful, but knowing something is beautiful and caring about it are two very different things, and I didn't care.

I didn't care till I stepped past my councilors room and caught sight of a skinny boy, blonde with erratically placed eyes.

I entered the room, reminded of the morning I met Shawn, it was much like this one and the scene was similar.

The boy, Matthew looked up at me. His face was pale like mine and somehow he frowned and smiled all at once.

Of course I couldn't keep myself from coming over to him, and sitting down beside him. He was too intriguing not to.

"Hi." My voice cracks when I speak and he looks up at me with one of his brown eyes. "Hey." He whispers when he talks, and I strain my ears to hear.

"What are you doing here?"

"Thinking I guess."

"What about?"

"Everything."

"Can I think with you?"

"Sure." I could see him try and hide a faint smile and it made me smile too. Piece by piece I decided I'd solve him.

We sit silent for awhile but neither of us minded, it was nice. I look down at Matthews wrists and see familiar lines, like thank you notes for the trees who gave him a chance to breathe, like stanzas of poetry each one trying to rhyme.

"Meredith, I want to go somewhere."

"But where?"
•••••
I think I actually like this chapter😊

Guys I have plans for this book I just have to write them down now😅

Love you all comment and vote💖