1: Number Zero

"Number Zero is by far the most powerful member of the umbrella academy. If she could only control her temper, she would then reach her fullest potential," -Reginald Hargreeves."

Zero's POV

I was looking for Five again. The place I got to was desolate and destroyed. My mind ached as I tried to continue my projection. This place was the end of times- the apocalypse.  Fire was blazing, the moon was missing, and an in all, the scenery was completely destroyed. I had no clues as to what caused the end of the world. The only thing I knew, Five was here. I was sure of it. 

"Five! Five!" I yelled, searching the area, "Where are you?" I had tears in my eyes. 

The astral projection I had created was getting harder to retain- I had no strength left to continue holding it. The world around me began to blacken as my eyes closed, "No, Five!"

I awoke to someone shaking me up. My heart was racing and my breath was quite fast. It was still dark out so I buried back underneath the covers. I heard Diego sigh. 

"Sydney? Sydney! It's time to wake up. You promised me you'd help me with this job," Diego whined. His voice projecting an ounce of disappointment.  

I hid my head under my pillow, "Diego, that was before you woke me up so early."

"Come on Syd, it'll be fun. Think of all the different ways we could hurt someone. I throw two knives you catch one with your shadows, you throw a knife with your shadows and I catch it, you throw me with your shadows-"

I rolled my eyes, "I get it, Diego. There are a lot of things I can do with my powers."

 I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stepped onto the floor- the coldness spreading across my feet. I stretched out my arms whilst letting out a loud yawn. I looked over at Diego, wearing a fully leather attire, and asked, "What in the hell are you wearing?"

He looked down at himself and then to me, "My vigilante outfit."

"Are you trying to look like Batman?"

"Oh shut up!"

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

Diego handed me my spandex leathery ensemble with a stupid smirk. 

"Yeah, I'm not wearing this."

Diego gave me a pointed look, "Why not? We'll be matching, like Batman and Robin."

"First of all, Batman and Robin didn't even wear the same outfit. Second, this is hideous. I'll just find something else to wear, like maybe- this?" I held up a red devil onesie that I just conveniently found lying underneath my aqua mattress on the floor. 

"No- no in a million years."

"Why? I would look so adorable."

Diego snatched the onesie away from me, "Ya, and you'd look like a child."

I gave Diego a glare, "I already do."

Diego took a deep and collected breath, "How about you wear the red suit and we'll call it even."

"Now we really look like Batman and Robin."

"I won't hesitate to throw a knife at you." He walked away from me.

'God, why did I take you in? I should've left you to rot with dad,' He thought to himself.

I gave him a loving smile after reading his mind, "But, you just love me too much, brother."

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

I got dressed as I was still in my pyjamas. I took off the red flannel pants that fit too loosely around my body and my oversized 'police academy' shirt (it was actually Diego's but he failed out so it's mine now). Diego had left the room while I got changed to go grab some knives or something. I was pretty sure it was to go check on Detective Patch. I didn't mind Patch- at least she was a better match for Diego than his other love, the knives. Don't tell him I said that.

I zipped up the red leather suit and attached a utility belt with some of Diego's spare knives and adjusted it around my waist. The outfit was a little loose on me, but they don't make vigilante outfits for 29 year old's stuck in their 15 year old body. Strange. 

I next laced up my combat boots while making sure all the scuff marks weren't too noticeable. It was just something Five used to bug me about. I didn't think anyone noticed until one day Five insisted he clean them for me. He'd say, 'Syd, you can't go out with scuffed shoes. Then people will think you don't care about yourself.' I'd always tell him he was overdramatic, but I still agreed to let him clean them for me. 

Diego opened the door from the outside of the boiler room and watched me clean up the boots, "Are you doing that again? You know Five wouldn't care that your boots were messy if he knew that you were keeping me waiting."

I held back a laugh, "I think Five would encourage me to keep you waiting."

"Come on, we need to leave before we wake Al up."

"Correction, it's you who wakes Al up- with all your late-night rendezvous with Patch."

Diego glared at me again, "You know we ain't together, Syd. Patch and I were old news. But yes, occasionally I'll check up on here."

"Sure, say 'occasionally', Diego. It's totally not all the time," I said using sarcasm to emphasize my point. 

"We really should get going, Syd." 

"Lead the way, knivey," I sneered before exiting the so-called 'boiler room'. 

Diego pulled me back, "I hate when you call me that."

"I know." I smirked as I put on my red domino mask. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

Patrol was overly boring with Diego. He'd constantly get mad at me for not paying attention, but it wasn't my fault it was boring. It wasn't until we stopped a home invasion where I got really excited. Finally, time for me to use me to beat up people, for fun.

The five men or so had taken a family of four, hostage inside their own house. The family were all tied down and taped shut as Diego and I slyly entered the house. I say slyly except Diego just jumped straight through the window.

"Way to be subtle, number two," I mumbled underneath my breath before turning invisible and jumping through his new found entrance. My boots crunched under the glass, causing the attackers to look in my direction. 

Diego in his domino mask, kicked and punched the men. I could already see the heroic complex in him surging. I reappeared behind one of the attackers before using the shadows to lift up a knife from Diego's collection. I struck that knife right into one of the attacker's stomach.  

"Ouch, that must've hurt," I said to the now fatally wounded man. 

Diego looked over at me and gave me a high five, "Nice one. But, not as nice as the four guys I took down."

"It's really not a competition, stabby."

"God, I hate you."

All of a sudden, breaking news on the TV began to play, "Eccentric Billionaire: Reginald Hargreeves has been announced dead."

"Shit," Diego and I said in unison. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

Author's Note: 

Alright that was the first chapter, it's going to start picking up once we get to the actual episode but I hope you get sort of a glimpse as to who Syd is and what her powers are. Also, I'm aging up her and Five to be 15

-Gabs