4: Banks robbers are no match for us

"Number Zero and Number One's relationship has progressively gotten worse. Those two cannot collaborate effectively without it becoming a fight. Especially with Zero's high alliance with Number Two,"-Reginald Hargreeves

Seventeen years ago

Zero's POV

"This is Jim Hellerman, reporting live for Channel 2 News outside of Capital West bank at Main and Sixth. A group of heavily armed men stormed the bank not three hours ago and took an unknown number of hostages."

The plan was simple: disarm the men and save the hostages. Luther and Diego didn't follow the plan. They both fought for dominance as to who was going to go inside first. 

"No Diego, I'm going in first. I'm Number One," Luther argued.

"Yeah, but if I go in first, the bad guys will get worried," Diego debated back. 

I held my forehead in pain as all of the people in the bank had their thoughts flood through me.

Five looked over at me, "Zero, you okay?"

I smiled, "Yeah, just a lot of new people. I'll be better if those two stopped fighting."

Five gave me one of his classic smirks, "I know just what to do." He turned to Alison and whispered something into her ear. She nodded as she skipped away from us. 

Five spatial jumped in between the middle of Diego and Luther, "Oops, looks like Allison already went first. Tough luck, guys." 

Both of them almost pounced at Five before he spatial jumped back to me. Diego and Luther, with Five no longer being in the middle, crashed right into each other. Five and I laughed hard. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

Five and I watched Alison rumour the first guard, "I heard a rumour that you shot your friend in the foot."

The guy, now under Alison's spell, aimed his pistol at this friend's foot and shot. The other guy groaned in pain as his foot was now bleeding out. Five and I laughed as he jumped us to another location in the bank. 

Five and I watched as Luther madly walked to the roof. Dad had heard about him and Diego's fight so Luther had to jump through the roof. Five and I avoided his gaze. When he made it up to the top, he jumped down through the glass and threw a guy out the window. 

Diego ran in claiming, "Guns are for sissies, real men throw knives." He threw his knives and hit a guard in the chest. Five shoved me into the action as it was my cue. I quickly turned invisible and manipulated the shadows to throw one of the guys up and into the air. He fell back down- breaking a few bones. I reappeared with a smile on my face as I winked over at Diego. He rolled his eyes. 

'Try-hard.' He glanced at me and thought.

'Mommy's boy' I retorted to him telepathically. 

The last guard stood up on the counter and was frantic, "Get back, you freaks."

Diego grinned, "Hey, be careful up there, buddy."

"The air is quite high," I joked.

"Wouldn't want you to get hurt," Alison added. 

I knew what was about to happen- Five wouldn't shut up about his plan.

"Or what?" Five spatial jumped to beside the guy. He began shooting at Five, but Five was too quick for that, as he spatial jumped away.

Five replaced the guy's gun with a stapler and reappeared next to him, "Ooh. That's one badass stapler!" Five then jammed the stapler back into the guy's head. 

Five jumped next to me and I gave him a high five. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

Ben and the rest of the academy stood in front of the vault doors.

Ben was nervous as he asked, "Do we really have to do this?"

"Come on, Ben. There's more guys in the vault," Luther stated rudely. 

I shoved Luther to the side as I added, "It's alright, Benny. I'll be right here with a towel."

He nodded at me. He faced the vault and sighed, "I didn't sign up for this."

I had a sad look on my face and Five grabbed a hold of my hand.

'It's going to be fine, Syd. Ben can do this,' He spoke to me in his thoughts. I nodded and rested my head against his shoulder. 

The windows of the vault splattered in blood as the monsters inside Ben unleashed themselves. I squeezed Five's hand hard. Growling noises and screams went on until the door opened and a blood covered Ben walked out. 

His breath was shaky, "Can we go home now?"

I let go of Five's hand and ran over to Ben to give him his towel, "Sure. Let's go home, Benny."

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

We all exited the bank holding our heads high, expect Benny. I held a heavy heart for him. Dad showed up soon enough and we all stood behind him

Dad began his speech, "The world is changing. Has changed. There are some among us gifted with abilities far beyond the ordinary. I have adopted seven such children. I give you the inaugural class of the Umbrella Academy." Reporters in the crowd begin speaking over top of each other.

"Mr. Hargreeves! Mr Hargreeves. Channel 9 news. What happened to their parents?" A reporter wearing a dark brown fedora asked.

"They were suitably compensated."

"Are you concerned for the well being of the children?" A reporter with leather gloves asked. 

"Of course. As I am for the fate of the world." I rolled my eyes at his statement. 

I muttered to Five, "Absolute bullshit." He laughed. 

The camera shutters clicked as we all stood with our father. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎