20: Welcome to the Commission!

"It was many moons ago when Zero arrived at our family. Reginald had been looking for the one they called, 'The Shadow' for about eight years. It was a shock when he had found her. Another child for our family was great! Reginald unfortunately had to use Alison to rumour all the kids into remembering her. Sydney of course, well, her memory had to be wiped as well. It wasn't a problem melding her into our academy. The only problem was the organization that was after her,"- Grace Hargreeves.

Zero's POV

"I must admit Number Five, Number Zero, in all the time I've been here, I've never met anyone like you two."

Five and I walked alongside her to the Commission building. He swung our intertwined hands beside us. I smiled- I was ready for a life with Five. Birds chirped alongside us. 

"Hazel and Cha-Cha, for example, are talented, certainly, but...they can't see the big picture. Sydney's spunk, Five's enterprising spirit. Why you two have such an odd chemistry, well, it reminds me a great deal of myself, if...I may be so vainglorious. If things work out well here, you could both potentially make great successors," The Handler explained. I was slightly paying attention to her whole introduction. Soon enough, we had made it to the entrance. I took a deep breath before coming inside. The Handler took off her coat and handed it to some random guy. She gestured for me to give them my umbrella, so I did. 

"I'd like to discuss the logistics of my family's safety at your earliest convenience," Five said to the Handler. We all made our way up some stairs. I was so intrigued with the whole place- it felt so...familiar. 

"As well as this body replacement. And, Syd's body has stopped ageing so we need to do something for her too."

The Hander took off her fascinator and handed it to yet another random guy. She said to Five, "Such chutzpah. It's refreshing, I'll admit. Slow down, Five. All in good time. Why don't you enjoy yourself, like Miss Syd over there." I wasn't paying attention again. I was watching all the people in the halls without the usual jumbling noise in my head. Could it be that my mind was finally quiet? Obviously if I put some thought into it, I could hear these people's minds, but yet, I didn't want to. I was just listening to the outer chatter instead of the inner chatter.

"In fact, now that you've finally agreed to work with us, we've got all the time in the world."

☂︎      ☂︎      ☂︎      ☂︎

We walked around the Commission as the Handler showed us many different rooms. 

"The Commission works in support of a delicate balance between the timeline of events and mankind's free will," The Handler explained. We passed the 'briefcase room' which drew Five's eyes. 

'If only I can grab one of those to get Syd and I back,' Five thought. I mentally rolled my eyes- what did he mean by going back? I was having loads of fun here.

"The briefcase is no longer part of your kit, Five. Free your mind. You're management now. One of us now" She grabbed Five and I's shoulder and held us into a weird side hug. I gave her an awkward smile. 

☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎     ☂︎

"All these people on this floor are case managers, each one responsible for one major event at a time."

"So many of them," Five muttered. We were looking into a room filled to the brim with people typing at desks. They were typing on typewriters as the clicking and clacking of the keys sounded my mind. Dialling and ringing of old timey phones were present too. Peaceful noises, not obnoxious voices. 

"Impressive, isn't it?"

I nodded, "Definitely!"

"Being part of something...so grand." I was utterly and completely fascinated. The busy bodies inside the room were so focused- something I never saw back in the real world. Five and I's gazes were stuck. 

"Come along," The Handler instructed. Five pulled my hand along. 

The Handler continued to lead us along, "Whenever someone chooses the wrong path and the timeline is changed, the Commission gets a report from field agents on the ground. These field reporters are sorted and assigned to a case manager or in your case, case managers. They then determine if anyone needs to be...removed from the equation to assure that their event happens as it should." She led us into the 'tube room'. It was a room filled with...you guessed it, tubes. They were metallic tubes that made whooshing noises. 

"Based on the determination, the case manager sends instructions via pneumatic tube to...temporal assassins like you formerly were, Number Five. Any queries so far?" The Handler asked with a sweet smile. 

"Wait, Mrs. Handler?" I asked.

She turned her gaze onto me, "Yes, Sydney?"

"So...we don't get to kill anyone?" I pouted.

She let out a breathy laugh, "Case managers don't typically but...we can sort that out. I see that you have a thirst for killing, that's wonderful." She gave me a pat on the head. I felt so important.

'Don't let her words fool you,' Five spoke psychically to me.

I rolled my eyes, 'Whatever, Five. Stop being such a grumpy old man.'

Five added, "I have a question. Who was the case manager handling me?"

"Ah," She announced. She traced her finger against Five's cheek, "You mean the apocalypse."

My attention was drawn to a lady who was sucking bronze containers into the tubes. I didn't notice we were moving until Five had to drag my hand along again. 

☂︎      ☂︎      ☂︎      ☂︎

"Five, Syd, meet Dot," The Handler introduced us to this very sweet lady. 

"Oh, hi." She waved to us with a nice smile. I waved back and Five slapped my hand down. 

"Dot is responsible for all apocalypse matters. In fact, it was Dot here who first flagged  your appearance in 2019."

Dot put her hand out and said, "No hard feelings. And this is Sydney?" 

I nodded and Dot gave an even bigger smile, "This must be your other da-"

The Handler interrupted and gave her a harsh look, "Yes. My other dangerous recruit. Precisely. Well, you two had certainly put us through the ringer. Outsmarting two of our so-called best temporal assassins," The Handler applauded. 

The next thing she said was quite loud, drawing everyone's attention, "If that doesn't spell leadership material..." The room went quiet and the Handler then reduced her volume, "...I just don't know." She chuckled.

"I suspect...you two like a challenge," The Handler explained. She pulled out a chair for Five and tapped on it, "That's why I've given you two a particularly complex case." She handed Five a leathery red folder. I grinned at the premise of a challenge- I loved a challenge, so the Handler was quite spot-on with that.

"It's too bad that Joseph Späh decided against sabotaging the fuel tank. It would've been so much easier," She chuckled. Five opened the folder and began reading. I swear I remembered learning about that back at the academy. 

"Anyhoo, if you have any questions...I'll be right behind you." She pointed to the door. 

"Okay. Bye Mrs. Handler," I smiled. Five gave me a harsh look. 

"Goodbye, Sydney." She waved towards me. 

Five sat down in his chair and I sat down in the one next to him. The clicking of the typewriters made me feel safe and welcomed. I have no idea why I was feeling this way. Five gave a peck on the cheek before we decided to get to work.

'Trust me, Syd. This isn't a nice place,' Five spoke to my telepathically. 

I rolled my eyes, 'You're over-exaggerating, Five. The Handler is so kind, same with Dot, and our whole job is causing pain- what could be better?'

'I think we need to send you to therapy, Zero.'