34: So...he's dead

"Syd has always been overprotective of Klaus. They both faced such harmful lives because of dad, so I think Syd put it upon herself to stop that,"-Ben Hargreeves

Five's POV

When I woke up from my slumber, I was half expecting Syd to be awake and waiting for me, and half expecting her to still be unconscious. I was not expecting her to be gone.

"Syd! Syd! Where are you?" I called out. I rolled my eyes, as I went downstairs. She couldn't have gotten the far, right?

☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya. We need to go after her," Diego explained, pacing back and forth.

"Vanya is not important," I said, looking at a sleeping Syd in Klaus's lap. I smiled at the sight, she must've woken up before me, and mom did say she was delirious. 

"Hey, that's your sister. A little heartless even for you, Five."

I looked towards Diego and stepped closer, "I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority."

Diego nodded, "I agree. Let's go."

"You guys count me out," Klaus said, petting Syd's hair, "I mean, you know, no offence, or whatever. It's just...I kind of feel like this is a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so..."

Diego clenched his fists, "You're coming."

"No, no, no. I mean, I think we can all agree that my power's...I mean, it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back. And...who's gonna take care of little Syd here? Me."

"Klaus get up. We'll just take Syd with us," I demanded. 

Klaus tried to challenge me, "You can't make me."

Diego threw a knife right in between Klaus's legs. 

Klaus sighed, "Oh, then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt. Who's going to wake up Syd? She was pretty delirious the last time I tried." 

I walked over, "I'll do it." I leaned close to Syd's ear and whispered, "Hey, Syd. It's me, Five, obviously. We're going to go on an adventure, so it's time for you to wake up."

Syd groaned in response.

I ran my finger through her wavy brunette locks, "It's to stop the end of the world."

"Stop your own world, Five."

Klaus snickered behind me, "Maybe we should let Diego try."

I shrugged and stood back up. Diego moved to Syd and said, "I'll let you have another knife."

That got Syd right up, "Who said something about a knife?"

I shook my head and wrapped my arms around her.

☂︎      ☂︎     ☂︎      ☂︎

Zero's POV

I was feeling much less delirious than before, I had control over my thoughts, and I wasn't ranting about Klaus killing a unicorn. I could sense Five was really worried about me- he spared more than a few glances at me on the car ride there, and made sure to hold my hand as we entered Harold's house. 

We all walked inside to spot a knife violating Harold Jenkins. Scratch that not one knife, more like a thousand. There had to be over twenty knives impaled in his chest- with loads of blood adding to the masterpiece. The job could've been a bit more refined.