27: Harold is an awful name

"There's no denying that Sydney fit in very well in the academy. It's only a shame that Reginald has to wipe her mind so often. Her memory is quite awful now. Diego once accidentally stabbed her and she forgot why there was a knife in her arm,"-Grace Hargreeves

Seventeen years ago

Zero's POV

Dad pulled us up to the academy after a long mission. Of course we had to be greeted by a parade of little fans. Don't get me wrong I loved being famous but...who am I kidding? I hated it. No one ever liked 'The Shadow' because she was the most violent and the most creepy. I understood of course, I killed people on the daily. But, the fans never knew that or...they weren't supposed to know that. 

We all exited the fancy car that father splurged for- each exiting in single file. First was Ben, then Klaus, then Diego. I hadn't paid attention to who was next because I was getting the worst headache. There was a reason why I asked Father to not take me to these events, but he didn't care. 

He'd tell me, 'Zero, how do you expect to become stronger if you can't power through the pain.'

Now, I've gotten better at hiding the pain. I trailed behind everyone with a forced calm expression on my face. I had my head buried in a book- basically to hide from the fans. Dad always made me last because I'd accidentally crash into everyone. And of course, that had to happen now. I crashed right into the back of Alison. 

"Sorry, Three," I mumbled. She had a concerned look on her face as I random kid wearing the academy uniform was talking to her. 

"Excuse me, I'm your biggest fan," He exclaimed to her. I tried to hide from his gaze, but alas, this kid was too eager. Reading his mind was just a jumble of thoughts, causing my head to ache. I did find out his name was Harold Jenkins, which is an awful name. God, it's even worse than Luther. 

"Oh, and Number Zero? Are the rumours true? Are you really an emotionless killer?"

I stuttered, "I-I-"

Luther came up behind me and grabbed the kid, "Hey, hey. You're not supposed to be in here." For the first time ever, I was happy to see Luther. 

The kid came trying, "Wouldn't you want to replace this monster on your team? I mean, you can't be happy having her as your sister."

My face paled. He doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Father noticed the hold up and came over, "Get back behind the barricade!"

Luther pulled me along thankfully but Father grabbed my arm. I stood behind him nervously. 

"It's just..." The kid began, "I was born on the same day as the academy kids. I think I'm like them. I must be. I haven't quite figured out what my power is...yet. But maybe with your help, we can find out."

I tried my best not to cringe. 

Father moved closer to the kid's face and told him, "You have no power. You never will have power. Now go home."

The kid looked like he was about to start crying, "No, please. Just...I. You have to let me stay. I came all this way. Please don't make me go back."

"A little word of advice, my boy. Not everyone in this world can be powerful. Chasing something unattainable is a recipe for a lifetime of disappointment and resentment. So get off my property." Father picked his collar up and shoved him away, "If you return, we'll see just how much of a killer you claim Number Zero to be." 

The kid was pushed against the car, "No, Mr. Hargreeves. Please. I-I, I can try and throw knives like Number Two. Maybe I'm as strong as Number One?"