16: The guilt spills out of me

"Zero has an intelligent mind, but doesn't use it nearly enough. I need to start challenging her in more ethical questions, just to make sure she won't cry when she kills someone. This is something her other siblings cannot grasp, especially Number One," -Reginald Hargreeves

Zero's POV

Diego gently placed Delores on the chair as I requested. Delores would yell at us soon enough so I was trying to get back on her good side. Diego carried me into the room, slowly asking, "Did you want to put your pyjamas on?"

I nodded sleepily, "Yeah, sure." I turned to Five, "I'll be right back, Fivey." He gave me a thumbs up. I went into my chest of clothes and grabbed some nice comfy plaid pyjama pants and a plain red sweater. I let out a big yawn and Diego came over to put me into bed. Five scooted back until we were both underneath the blankets. Five wrapped his hands around me and we snuggled to sleep. My eyes slowly closed as I nestled closer into Five's chest.

"Funny. If I didn't know he was such a prick, I'd say he looks almost adorable in his sleep."

I tiredly defended, "Diego, just because you and Patch aren't together doesn't mean you can diss my love."

Diego and Luther gawked at each other as Luther asked, "Since, when are you so sappy?"

I chuckled quietly, "I think I drank too much, Luthy. Diego, can you bring me waffles when I wake up?"

Diego beamed, "Of course, Syd. Now, get some sleep. We both know how grumpy you get."

"You're right, I rival Five's grumpiness. Now, Luthy, you better be nice to Diego while I'm asleep. If not, I'll enter your mind and destroy you from the inside. Love you both-"

 My eyes fully closed as Five whispered, "I love you the most, Syd."

"Don't worry," Luther instead, "They'll sober up eventually. Five will be back to his normal, unpleasant self. And, Sydney, will stop raining random compliments to everyone."

Diego shook his head, "Yeah, I can't wait that long. I need to figure out what Five's connection to those lunatics are, and why he's dragged Syd into it. Before, someone else dies."

Luther turned to look at us, "All that stuff he was saying before..." 

All of a sudden, thumping was heard. 

"What do you think he meant by that?" Luther asked, but Diego stopped him. Footsteps were sounded out in the hallway, as they now both looked ready for a fight. Diego pulled a knife out of his belt and got ready to throw it. He jumped up the stairs and opened the door, promptly getting his knife ready.

"You throw another one of those goddamn knives at me, I'm pressin' charges," Al yelled. 

"What do you want, Al?" Diego grumbled. 

Al said, "I ain't your secretary." Diego agreed as Al continued, "Some lady called for you, said she needs your help."

Diego walked back down the stairs asking, "What lady?"

"I dunno, some, uh, detective. Said her name was, uh, Blotch or somethin.'"

"Patch?"

Al tilted his head in assurance. 

"She needs my help." Diego travelled back up the stairs.

"She said she needs you to meet her at the motel, a dump on Calhoun," Al said, reading off a slip of paper. Diego grabbed it and looked at it intensely.

"When?"

"About a half an hour ago. Uh, said she found your brother." This earned a visible confused reaction out of both Diego and Luther.