18: Screw the Sun

"Number Zero seems to understand the babbling of her sibling's minds, and not just because she can read them,"- Reginald Hargreeves

Zero's POV

"Oh, I think I've got something, Syd. It's tenuous, but promising."

I smiled, "We've got to give anything a shot, Five."

Luther's nosy footsteps sounded out in the hallway as he walked into Five's chalk covered room. 

"Who are you talking to? What is all this?" Luther asked. 

Five didn't turn around as he kept scribbling words down, "I'm talking to Syd, she's lying down right there." I waved at Luther and Five continued, "It's a probability map."

Luther's eyes followed the crazed chalk written walls, "Probability of what?"

Five turned around with an upset look and huffed. I intervened, "Of whose death will save the world."

Five added, "We've narrowed it down to four."

"Are you guys saying one of these four people causes the apocalypse?"

"No, we're saying that their death could prevent it," I groaned. I had the urge to stab Luther because of how stupid he was. 

"Oh," Luther said. Five kept scribbling down on his walls as I hugged his legs, "I'm not following."

Five's posture tensed up as he turned around, wearing a frown, "Time is fickle, Luther. The slightest alteration in events can lead to massively different outcomes in the time continuum. The butterfly effect." At this, Luther nodded, "So, all Syd and I have to do is find the people with the greatest probability of impacting the timeline, wherever they may be-"

"And kill them!" I exclaimed. Five gave me a grin as his mind raced with, 'I love her so much.'

I sat up from the bed as Five jumped down, looking for some sort of new equation. Luther walked around to the other side of the bed and examined the 4 names Five had written.

"Milton Greene. So, who's he, a terrorist, or something?"

Five, writing hold Vanya's book to insert more notes added, "I believe he's a gardener."

Luther snapped his head to Five with a disbelieved look on his face, "You two can't be serious."

Five and I shared a 'whatever' look.

Luther continued as he never got an answer, "Wait, this is madness, Five. Syd. You-"

Five pulled up the gun he found in Dad's closet.

"Wh-Where'd you get that?" Luther stared at the gun.

"In Dad's room."

I added, "I think he used it to shoot a Rhinoceros."

Five held back another smile, "It's similar to the model I used at work. Nice shoulder fit and highly reliable And obviously, Syd has Diego's knives. Or, we could find a nice sword for her to work with-"

Luther was furious, "But you can't- this guy Milton is just an innocent man." 

"It's basic math. His death could potentially save the lives of billions. If Syd and I did nothing, he'd be dead in four days anyway. The apocalypse won't save anyone."

Luther huffed, "We don't do this kind of thing."

Five rolled his eyes, "We aren't doing anything, Luther. Syd and I are."

Luther shook his head, "I can't let you guys go and kill innocent people. No matter how many lives you'll save."

I smiled, "Yeah, well good luck trying to stop us." Five and I began walking out of the room.