38: Vanya

"The day that Number Zero truly discovers who she is, is the day the world will end,"-Reginald Hargreeves

Zero's POV

I laid down face first against Klaus's bed, groaning in anger. It was the sheer stupidity of a one Luther Hargreeves, that caused a massive headache to appear

"Syd? Syd? Syd?" Klaus called out. I ignored him and continued my woe against the pillow. 

"Can't you see she doesn't want to be bothered?" Ben pointed out. 

From still smushed against a pillow, I said muffled, "Benny boy is right. I am retreating to self isolation because our stupid family is fucking stupid."

Ben and Klaus shared a confused look. Klaus sighed, "It's not too late to break her out."

My head popped up, "Well...you do raise an interesting point, Klaussy. Breaking out Vanya?" 

Klaus and I shared a giggle, "It's like we're in mission impossible."

As I was about to give Klaus a well-deserved high five, the entire academy shook. 

My eyes snapped to Ben, "What was that?"

"An...earthquake?"

I shook my head, "Seemed bigger than an earthquake."

Klaus and I gasped in unison, "Vanya."

☂︎       ☂︎     ☂︎      ☂︎

We stumbled out of the room, trying to maintain our balance against the shaking academy. Klaus grabbed my hand and pulled me along.

"Yo, what the hell is going on?" Diego asked, as he strutted down to Klaus and I. Everyone seemed to be getting out of their rooms—just as confused and in shock as Klaus and I were. 

Klaus raised an eyebrow asking, "Are those explosions coming f—" 

"Vanya," Luther stated—fanning no sympathy into his words.

I rolled my eyes, "You know, why don't we just let Vanya kill Luther? It's a win-win for all of us."

Luther threw me a glare. I smiled at my adopted brother, before throwing up the middle finger. 

"We need to get to safety outside the Academy," Pogo instructed, gripping his cane tightly around his furry hand. 

Diego, Klaus, and I stared scaredy at Luther—Vanya wouldn't do this, she couldn't. 

Explosions echoed in the background around us, causing myself to jump a bit. 

"Don't forget Mom!" Luther yelled at us. 

I stood shocked—there was no way that Vanya had become the monster dad must've thought she was. She was my sister, my dear sister who always played the violin to me when I had a nightmare. My dear sister who'd always tease me about Five and I's relationship. My dear sister who I would comfort everyday that she was ordinary, in fact, she was extraordinary. 

"Come on, Syd. We have to go!" Klaus rushed to grab my arm, "It's too dangerous here."

I struggled out of his grasp, rushing and running to save Vanya. I spoke, my voice cracking in the midst, "I-I can't l-let her do t-this. This isn't her."

Diego grabbed hold of my hand and dragged me along, "You can't talk to her if you're dead."

☂︎        ☂︎      ☂︎       ☂︎

Diego, Ben, Klaus, and I ran along the top floor of the academy. We were looking for mom, but the whole exterior of the academy was crumbling. 

"Mom!" Diego yelled, moving his head side-to-side as he tried to get a better view of the area.