Chapter 23

Clarke POV

    Clarke was not too far from the tents when Lexa passed out. Clarke got off the horse and picked Lexa up off the horse. Clarke started to walk quickly to the medical tent. Tears threatened to fall down her face.

    Clarke opened the tent flap and walked in. Her mom was helping a man drink water. "Heda." The man gasped. Her mom turned around.

    "Lay her on that bed." Her mom said, pointing to an empty bed. Clarke rushed over and placed Lexa down. Her mom grabbed stuff and came over. "What happened?" Her mom asked as she ripped open Lexa's shirt.

    "I don't know." Clarke said, out of breath. Her lungs felt like they were failing. "Nia challenged Lexa to a fight to stop the war. She took it and won but an arrow flew through the air and I don't know."

    "She's losing too much blood." Her mom said. "I'm gonna pull the arrow out and you are gonna have to put pressure on the wound." Clarke nodded and got a clean cloth. "Ready?" Clarke nodded and then her mom broke off the tip of the arrow. Her mom pulled the arrow out and Clarke put the cloth on the wound.

    The white cloth was turning black. Her mom was quickly getting ready to stitch. "Mom, she's losing too much blood!" Clarke said, trying not to panic.

    Her mom started to stitch one side of Lexa up. Clarke kept pressure on the other wound. Lexa groaned. Clarke looked up at Lexa's face. She had blood covering her face from the fighting.

Lexa whispered something that sounded like her name. "I'm here." Clarke said, taking one of Lexa's hands with her free hand. Lexa squeezed her hand.

"I'm almost done." Her mom said, "And then we will have to flip her over."

Her mom finished stitching and they flipped Lexa. Lexa groaned again. Her mom started to stitch up the final wound. Lexa was squeezing her hand.

Her mom was working quickly but not quick enough. Black blood was still spilling out. "Stay with me." Clarke told Lexa.

"I'm almost done." Her mom said. Lexa's grip loosed on her hand. "Get the bandage." Clarke grabbed a bandage from beside her and handed it to her mom. She put it over the stitches and they rolled Lexa back onto her back.

Clarke sat down beside her and let out a shaky breath. "She's stable for now." Her mom put a hand on her back. "We can't give her blood, the blood types or different."

The tent flap opened and Clarke looked up. Luna walked in. "She needs blood doesn't she?" Luna asked, rolling up her sleeve.

"She needs nightblood." Her mom said.

"She is a nightblood." Clarke said. Her mom got Luna set up. Her mom started to draw blood from Luna. Clarke turned back to Lexa.

Lexa was pale and her breathing was a little unsteady. Clarke was rubbing the back of Lexa's hand with her thumb. Clarke kissed the back of her hand. The tent flap opened again and Raven walked in. Raven walked up to her.

"How is she?" Raven asked.

"Stable for now. She lost a ton of blood." Clarke said.

"Octavia and Lincoln are helping the people with minor injuries." Raven told her. Raven brought over water and a cloth for her to wash her hands off with. Clarke rinsed her hands off and used the rest to clean Lexa's stomach.

Her mom walked over with the blood and put the needle in Lexa's arm. Luna's blood started to transfer into Lexa. Luna stood up and walked over to Raven. Raven kissed Luna.

A few minutes later, Raven and Luna left. Clarke got a cloth and wet it. She started to wipe the blood away from Lexa's face. Her mom walked up over to her. "I thought the nightbloods were in a conclave?" Her mom asked.