56|fifty six

Upon returning back home, Minister Yun JeongSuk's coat was taken by one of the three live-in house caretakers and he was given a basin to wash his aching face and hands

Upon returning back home, Minister Yun JeongSuk's coat was taken by one of the three live-in house caretakers and he was given a basin to wash his aching face and hands. He stepped into rubber soled moccasins and walked inside, flinging his briefcase on the sofa in the living hall.

He reminded himself, quite painfully so, that HwaYoung was dead when he had already spoken the first half of her name. A part of him expected her to somehow appear from any part of the house and smile at him. Stand before him and turn up the collars of his shirt, before tugging off his neck tie and asking him how his day was.

None of that happened. None of that had happened since eleven years. And JeongSuk had not worn a necktie for eleven years.

Somehow, he had forgotten the art of trying a knot.

He had not changed his house. Despite being a Cabinet Minister, despite being able to afford a house located in the very high end localities where the most elites of the city lived, JeongSuk chose to stay in his two storied, four bedroom, small garden bungalow.

The public saw it as his austerity. But to speak the truth, JeongSuk couldn't bring himself to part with the flowers HwaYoung tended to. The bed HwaYoung slept on. Her dresses. Her meager jewelry boxes. Her scent had long faded away, her touch no longer existent, but her face, youthful and stuck in static, was stamped on JeongSuk's closed eyelids.

She would never age.

Always remain stuck in that picture, gorgeous and so breathtaking. She would never get old with JeongSuk, she would never watch her son grow up. Or perhaps it wasn't her who was stuck.

"Master Yun, the dinner is served."

The man lifted himself up and walked to the dining table, still the same as it was eleven years ago. Dark mahogany and having only six seats. He had changed the glass top, after he had smashed someone's head on it. But leaving that, everything was the same.

Sitting on the right side of the centre, very surprisingly so, was JeongSuk's son TaeMin, and his friend beside him. Mickey the dog was hopping on TaeMin's lap and he waved his tail and barked when he saw JeongSuk pull the chair for himself.

"Abbeoji," TaeMin greeted with a smile. He was wearing a plain yellow shirt with brown shorts, sleeves buttoned up at his wrists as usual and his hair ruffled up in the new trend he had picked up from his classmates.

"And, you're here? Did you two have fun?"

"Not really, Uncle." TaeMin's friend, whose name JeongSuk did not remember, said in icy airs. "My brother's foot was almost destroyed by Head Boy Kim. And he is also deaf now -"

"Your brother has a destroyed foot and is deaf?" JeongSuk asked, quite surprised. TaeMin's friend always managed to say something very horrid.

"No," TaeMin said, "YoonJae Hyung has a broken foot and Kim JaeHwan is deaf."