35| thirty five

The school bells weren't the fondest sounds one recalled, especially not the ones that pierced the ears when one had to give up the exam papers

The school bells weren't the fondest sounds one recalled, especially not the ones that pierced the ears when one had to give up the exam papers. Professor Lee ChangMin had to snatch the answer sheets out of his students' hands on the tenth morning of August, ending up in a bitter battle between desperate boys and a frustrated man.

Hwang JungWon, or Pinky, as Professor Lee had nicknamed him in his mind, was particularly reeled up over the economics section of the question paper. A lot of students were hanging on to their answer sheets like their life depended on it, and ChangMin had heard some rumors behind this behaviour. Class 2-B wasn't a terrible class, it had a few team captains and the class average was pretty good. The students were well behaved, and they sat with their backbones straight as a stick. The job had a very good pay, and although Lee ChangMin had never even remotely had the thought of becoming a teacher, he was satisfied. Partly because he wasn't sure if he would ever go back to his old job.

"Tough luck, Lee!" Professor Nam JeWon, a forty year old man with a very sarcastic face and a pleasant demeanor, had his desk next to Lee ChangMin. "Monthly tests drain our energy out, but what to do, it's a necessity." Professor Nam was a helpful face to be around, and he was significantly helping ChangMin adjust to his new life by showing him little, insignificant details.

Like he shouldn't snap at a student and yell at them. ChangMin really needed to put a lid on his temper.

Old habits die hard.

"Good morning Senior Nam!" Suddenly, the air inside the extravagantly comfortable Teacher's room, (more like Teacher's lounge, since it had sofas and snake tongues for decoration) brightened and hottened. "My students were so lovely today, I might as well treat them after school!"

Professor Lee stole a glance at the source of the sugary, high pitched cat-like voice, but all he saw was a pair of long legs from where he was sitting. A woman? Lee ChangMin frowned. He was told most of his colleagues would be males, and all older than him. A pair of legs, insanely white and delicate. It gave Lee ChangMin an instant inferiority complex at his tanned, calloused, irreversibly scarred hands.

"Why do you look so happy, eh?" Professor Nam smiled at the woman, whose face ChangMin had yet to see. He was bad with women— sole reason being that he hadn't had proper contact with a civilian woman in about... five years.

"Nothing much, it's just that my class is on a roll these days. My Tae Shin is the rank one for three consecutive days, our HaeBom performed really well in his match week, and my MinKyu won a sculpting competition," the woman gloated, smoked sweetness and hot honey in her voice. ChangMin hated anything sweet.

"This habit of yours to keep adding 'my' before everyone will land you in trouble one day. But for now..." Professor Nam clapped his hands together and turned to look at the bundle of copies on his desk. "Let's get back to work."

"Yes, I recently had a few calls regarding a bunch of new events, I need to go talk to Professor Ahn—" The woman stopped speaking and ChangMin felt her eyes stop on him. Even though he wasn't looking, she was quite easy to judge. "I don't believe we met before... Professor?"