65|sixty five

HaRoo tried to fight his horror back

HaRoo tried to fight his horror back. He just couldn't stand sitting on the same dinner table as his father and talk to him like every other night. Not after knowing everything. He fought an intense urge to throw up when he looked at his father's face.

"When I see you," JeongSuk's eyes had burned with hatred, "I see the all the places my child could have been. But it is so, so unfair that he lived in misery, crying and wailing every night while you all lived on, not a shred of discomfort in your blessed lives."

HaRoo had always thought of his life as the worst. But he had it easier. Enduring his father for all those years of his youth suddenly felt like a piece of cake, when he thought of the victims of his father's ambition. That man didn't spare even children to protect himself.

"About Ruen," San Hyeok cleared his throat, "I saw you got their bail plea accepted."

HaRoo's fingers shook. His father was a lot of things. Vile, corrupt, abusive, but a murderer? He couldn't believe that. What would that make him?

"You want to know it that badly?" JeongSuk's eyes had spoken of madness. "He killed my wife. And then forced me to... my son -" his eyes had softened for a moment, "who am I talking of, even. I am the same as your father... Everyone's the same here."

He had a choice. It lay before him, gleaming, shining, asking for the thin sliver of courage inside his heart. His fists clenched by his sides and his jaw ticked.

"I can't." HaRoo's voice trembled.

"Can't what?"

"Ruen. I am leaving that case."

What would that make him? He didn't have the luxury to dwell on the possibilities of what would his father being a murderer make him. Perhaps he was already on the side of those cold blooded criminals, right from the day he was born.

"What?" San Hyeok put his chopsticks down on the table. The stillness in his voice chilled the bones of HaRoo's back and he found himself unable to move. His father's half lidded eyes, concealing all his sinister anger bored holes in HaRoo's skull.

Ah, that was how a monster's stare felt like. HaRoo gulped.

"I said, I am leaving the case. Dropping out of it. I will send a letter to my client and the court. I can't be unethical."

"Unethical?" San Hyeok asked, his face eerily empty. He was growing older. He couldn't thrash HaRoo with a golf stick anymore, could he? He wouldn't be able to. He was ageing. He wouldn't even live long. Ten years more, at the maximum. At some point or another, Minister Yun would bring everything to light. But then, HaRoo would drown alongside his father.