12| twelve

Guilt

Guilt. An emotion that YoonJae hadn't felt in a long, long time. The little ring sat atop his palm, taking all his curiosity and time, when he should have been doing either his homework or practicing basketball. Boys like him didn't think. They just did the first thing which came to their minds. 

"Park YoonJae?" Kim JaeHwan was calling him again. That fucking valedictorian. Overachiever. Public enemy. "When's your next tournament?" 

"The fuck you want with my next match?" 

JaeHwan gave him a nonchalant look, his eyes fixed on the top of YoonJae's head. That bastard looked down at YoonJae through his nose, that— put a lid on it, he heaved a sigh. 

"So that I can start arranging dates for the sports fest. Look," JaeHwan pinched the bridge of his nose, "it will clash with the CSAT dates anyway. I just want to maximize our year's participation." 

"August. But it's a small one. I don't think we'll participate." 

"And any tournaments in December?" 

"Yeah. One in Busan."

"Alright. Thanks," JaeHwan said. He then walked to his bench right at the farthest corner of the classroom and sat down, pulled out his laptop, and began to type something. Probably the assignment that Professor Nam gave just five minutes ago. 

YoonJae huffed and stood up, thrusting that kid's ring back into his pocket. Maybe he should've really thrown it away. Then he wouldn't be bothered by it. It was a woman's ring. And it didn't feel it it would fit in SooMin's fingers. Her hands were short, pudgy. And the ring would probably fit her last finger but… sapphires, blue wasn't Soomin's colour of choice. She liked pinks and yellows more. 

"Fuck," YoonJae kicked his desk. A few heads turned up his way and he glared back at them, death threats written all over his face. No. Don't do it. Don't— 

"The fuck you looking at?" He screamed at his classmates and kicked his chair, causing it to topple and tumble over. Someone, YoonJae didn't remember his name, stood up and put the chair in his correct position. In the farthest corner, Park SeokWoo snickered. He was on another level of the hate list YoonJae had created inside his mind. 

Park SeokWoo. Drug addict. Probably snorted crack and came to school everyday and sat beside Kim JaeHwan as his best friend. YoonJae's eyes burned just by looking at him. He was your friend, the tiny voice of reason inside YoonJae's mind tried to coax him. Friend. Friends yeah, bullshit. 

Park SeokWoo was nobody's friend. He slept with his best friend's girlfriend at his birthday party. In his room, at his house. And after all that, he still had the nerve to show up and act like a damned know-it-all. YoonJae was surprised how Hwang JungWon, being the volatile taekwondo player that he was, hadn't broken every bone in SeokWoo's body. 

YoonJae wouldn't hesitate to do it. If that kid ever dared to even think of SooMin that way. 

"Thinking about her again?"