74|seventy four

April came and went, and so did numerous letters and emails from JaeHwan's college

April came and went, and so did numerous letters and emails from JaeHwan's college. They wanted correspondence, and wanted to know if JaeHwan was still going to study in their campus or attend the online course.

"For how long will you sit here everyday?" DanTae rubbed his temples. He had lost hair, weight, sleep, composure, a lot of things. "I've already lost a son, I don't plan on losing another."

"We haven't lost him, Abbeoji," JaeHwan said.

"Listen JaeHwan. We need to continue with our lives. Think about it. Would Shin want you to just... waste your youth?"

"Just one more day, Abbeoji," JaeHwan pleaded.

And his father had no other option than to oblige that toxic wish.

⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ :- ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ - : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

The last of cherry blossoms had fallen a month before the day Shin woke up.

His little finger had twitched, and his grandfather, the ever so present and attentive, had created a ruckus in the middle of the night and had brought doctors to Shin. They checked his eyes and said that there was some movement, and he was conscious.

After that, SeGye never left Shin's side, even for a second. She saw all of the subsequent happenings, and saw his eyelids try to flutter open after that long a time.

Overjoyed, she called her son and husband to the hospital immediately, and they came, watching and waiting for Shin to open his eyes and smile at them.

He did open his eyes, but he never smiled at them.

Shin's had become as thin as a breakable twig. His hair had lost all the fluff, the colour and softness which JaeHwan loved to ruffle and mess up, and hear Shin's cute complaints. And his voice... it had become hoarse and rough. His blue eyes had lost their twinkle, and his rosy cheeks had turned ashen and pale. Sunken. Ghastly.

Yet, JaeHwan felt like he would fall in love with him again.

"What's your name?" The doctor asked hesitant, holding a clipboard against his chest.

Shin looked up at him, blinked twice, and then replied, "Shin. Tae Shin."

"That's good," the doctor sighed, "now say hello to your Aunt and Uncle -"

Shin turned his head, his lifeless eyes to JaeHwan's direction and stared, for a seriously long amount of time. Then he turned his neck away like nothing had ever happened. There was no bond between them.

Just like twelve years ago he had forgotten his Aunt and Uncle and seen past them with no light of recognition in his eyes.

"Halabbeoji," Shin tugged his grandfather's sleeve, "I want water."