57|fifty seven

By Wednesday morning, JaeHwan had high end hearing devices fitted in his left ear and his hearing was back to normal

By Wednesday morning, JaeHwan had high end hearing devices fitted in his left ear and his hearing was back to normal. His hand was still sprained and the wound on his head was nowhere near drying let alone healing, but he could hear each enunciated syllable with profound clarity. As if he was hearing for the first time in his life.

And as much as he wanted his first heard words to be from Shin's lips, they were from an unamused Principal Yoo. 

"Kim JaeHwan, you?" Yoo Sejong sighed, unamused through and through. "Really?" 

JaeHwan stared at the windows behind Principal Yoo's head and just gave a curt nod of his head. Any movements regarding his cranium felt like all the fluid inside had drained off and his brain shifted inside the brain box. 

"I am very curious to know what made you two do this." His calm words misaligned with the tick of his jaw. "Please elaborate, Mr. Park."

"He started it," YoonJae looked over his shoulder towards JaeHwan. He shifted his crutch from the left side to right and stretched his plastered foot out a little, grunting softly in muted pain.

"He threw the first punch. I wasn't even fighting him," JaeHwan rolled his healing black eye. Between them, YoonJae's face was more damaged. His deep purple bruises more pronounced and sympathy evoking, while the heavy hearing devices fitted in JaeHwan's ear told of another story.

"Oh," Principal Yoo said, "should I remind you of your age or will you start talking sense on your own?" 

"It was a carefully planned, intentional assault, Sir." JaeHwan enunciated loud enough for everyone in the room to hear it properly, which included Principal Yoo, JaeHwan's mother, YoonJae's mother, YoonJae, and Principal Yoo's attendant. 

Despite taking a small portion of standing space in Principal Yoo's office, JaeHwan suddenly seemed to take up three quarters of its size. 

"Intentional assault, you say?" Principal Yoo's eyebrow twitched. He put his crossed his fingers and rested his elbows on the table, waiting for everyone's reactions. 

YoonJae's mother Seolah was a tall woman, with lots of smile lines and worry lines, and slender hands and soft eyes. She had  a friendly relationship with Han SeGye, due to the fact that SeGye's architecture firm often did some of YoonSei Realty's projects. 

She looked over at JaeHwan, with worry in her eyes and then at SeGye, asking her if she had the remotest idea of what the boys were up to. SeGye just shook her head and looked down at her charcoal lined nails.

"Same here, Sir. I hit him with the intention of harm," said YoonJae, and both their mothers wanted to slap their own foreheads. They clearly had taught their sons better manners. 

"I was just taking revenge, Sir." JaeHwan huffed a breath through his nose.

"I was trying to not lose a fight." YoonJae scoffed.