16| sixteen

Shin could sometimes see nightmares with his eyes open

Shin could sometimes see nightmares with his eyes open. Yun JeongSuk's first son. Forgotten by everyone. Probably no one remembered who Shin was, and in hindsight, Shin was extremely thankful for that. He didn't want to narrate the events that led up to him going from Yun HwaShin to Tae Shin. 

He hated that name. Shin didn't want anything to do with Minister Yun. Except maybe throw a shoe on his face and yell at him. Shin stormed out of the washroom door and ran to the stairs, wanting to run down and run out of the school. He had already missed the first lecture, and there was a good time before the second lecture started. He couldn't possibly return to class at the moment. 

"Hey, student? Oh it's you, Tae Shin." Shin recognized Kim JaeHwan's deep voice from the top of the stairs, calling out for him. "Why aren't you in class?" 

"Why aren't you in class, Senior?" Shin spat back at him. JaeHwan's eyes widened for a moment, before a grin covered his face. Suddenly, Shin felt like commiting suicide. 

"I'm getting these certificates stamped by Principal Yoo." JaeHwan ran his hand on the railing as he walked downstairs to stand at the step where Shin was sitting, hunched. His shadow loomed over Shin as he crossed his feet and leaned against the bannister, the seams of his shirt stretching against his chest. "Here," he offered a small protein bar to Shin, "looks like you need it."

Shin pushed himself away from him, trying to be one with the wall. 

"Come on, it's not poisoned." JaeHwan asserted, holding the bar closer to Shin's face.

"Why do you care?" Shin muttered and rested his head against the wall.

"Now your turn, Tae Shin. You don't come to school for three days, your friends tell you you have a cold, but then you show up with bruises on your face. Tell me what happened?" 

"O-Or what?"

"Trying to act rude with me doesn't make me angry, kiddo. So if you think that being jaded will get me off your back, think twice." JaeHwan sighed.

Shin hugged his knees tighter. "Leave me alone, Senior." 

"Flunking classes gives you negative credit points. You could lose your rank. Trust me you don't want that." 

"Why do you care, Senior?" Shin said softly. He laid his cheek on his knee caps. "You probably just think that I am a stain to your school and don't want me here." 

"What? No!" JaeHwan's eyes were dark and electric. His hand reached out to Shin, trying to thread his fingers in Shin's hair but the boy flinched wildly. JaeHwan drew his hand back and watched him with apprehension.