Chapter 22 | Who Are You?

"Who the hell are you?" I spat, peering in front of me to see a tall dark haired male standing in the middle of the room, dim lights causing shadows to cast across his face, morphing his features.

I swallowed harshly, my breathing sparse as I studied the room, spotting my brother slumped over on a chair, his wrists tied down with cable ties; his wheelchair smashed up beside him, one of the wheels hanging off.

"Jared!" I yelled, taking a step forwards, causing the mystery man to stalk towards me, a smirk playing on his lips as he shook his head at me, backing me against the wall.

I stared up at the man, shock overwhelming me as the image of him from the diner and the mall played over and over in my head, causing my heart to start beating out of my chest.

"You- you were at the diner. You were following me!" I whispered, causing the man to chuckle, rolling his eyes.

"And you're shocked?" he asked, his husky tone bouncing off the walls, causing my ears to ring.

I gripped my knife harder, resisting the urge to stab him right in the neck, wanting to wait for the exact right moment so I could get Jared and myself out as safely and quickly as possible.

"Well, yes, I don't know who you are," I replied between gritted teeth, shifting my gaze to my unconscious brother who bruised and battered, anger bubbling up inside of me at the thought of someone hurting my own flesh and blood.

"That's funny Clara, because I know you, and Jared, and your Mother."

My ears pricked up at the mention of my mother, and I looked up at the man with wide emerald eyes, my entire body shaking. "What? Where is she?"

The man rolled his eyes, chuckling slightly, crossing his arms over his chest. "Don't you worry about your Mother, she's at home, and she thinks I'm at work."

"You're her...?" I trailed off, dropping my gaze, not wanting to look at the man that my Mother had left me for.

"Her mate? Yes."

I swallowed harshly, shaking my head, growling lowly under my breath. "You were the one who kept calling?"

"That's correct," the man shrugged, a smirk playing at his thin lips.

"Who are you? What's your name?" I questioned, my wolf begging me to shift and lunge at him, ripping him into a thousand pieces.

"And why do you want to know that?"

I sighed, running my free hand through my dark hair, shaking my head. "It would be nice to know the name of my Mother's mate."

He studied me for a few seconds, looking me up and down as if he was trying to see through me, but eventually he sighed, dropping his gaze. "Sawyer."

"What do you want?" I asked, my eyes welling up with tears as I looked up at him, fear overcoming me, scared that this man was going to end it all, leaving my Father all alone.

"What have you got there?" asked Sawyer, nodding towards my sleeve, raising his dark eyebrows.

I gasped, pulling my sleeve close to my chest as Sawyer grabbed my wrist, attempting to grapple the knife from my hand, cutting both of us in the process. Blood trickled down my sleeve, dripping onto the hard stone flooring, creating a puddle beneath us.

"Get off!" I screamed, yanking my wrist away and sinking the knife into Sawyer's back as deep as I could, knowing it wasn't going to do a whole lot of damage.

Sawyer yelled in pain, growling as he pulled the knife from his back, causing blood to squirt out. He threw the knife across the room, sending it clattering against the stone flooring, the sound echoing throughout the room. Sawyer lunged forwards, gripping my neck and lifting me up off the ground, holding me up so I was eye level to him.