Chapter 23 | Road Trip

I gazed up at my younger brother, tears brimming my eyes as I took in his battered form, guilt bubbling up inside of me.

"Jared, can you hear me?" I whispered, nudging him, hissing from the pain of the wolfsbane coated chains scraping against my flesh, taking the top layer of skin off.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, dropping my head down so it was resting on them. I didn't know what to do, and I didn't know if Jared or I was going to make it out of this alive.

But, I knew that if we were going to die, at least I tried to save him, and he wasn't just left to rot thinking nobody was out there looking for him.

I knew Dylan would probably be looking for me by now, and since I wasn't that far away from the pack, he would be able to smell me out eventfully.

However, I was sure that Sawyer knew that, and would either kill us or move us along soon, taking us somewhere unknown. I just hoped that I could stall Sawyer for as long as I could until Dylan eventually showed up, attempting to not be killed in the process.

"Clara?" mumbled Jared, causing me to raise my head, peering at my weak looking brother who was now propping himself up on the chair, gazing down at me with confusion plastered across his face.

"Jared!" I exclaimed, pulling on my chains, scooting closer to him. "What did he do to you?"

"The last thing I remember was him smashing up my wheelchair," muttered my brother, attempting to wipe the sweat away from his forehead, his brows furrowing when he realised he was cable tied to the chair.

"Did he hurt you?" I growled, raising my eyebrows, my gaze drifting down to the multiple bruises starting to form on his face.

"Yeah, he got pretty mad when I told him I wasn't going to help him lure you here. He wanted me to call you and ask you to meet me here."

"Has he told you anything? Do you know who his mate is?" I questioned, swallowing harshly, causing Jared to sigh, nodding.

"Yeah, he told me everything. Why did you come Clara? How did he get you here?"

"He called me threatening to kill you if I didn't come. There was no way I was going to let that happen, Jared!" I exclaimed, shaking my head.

"Does anyone know where you are? Did you tell Dad or Dylan?"

I shook my head, chewing on my bottom lip. "I knew they wouldn't let me come, and Sawyer said if I brought anyone else, you'd be dead. I couldn't risk it."

"So instead you risk your life as well?!" growled my brother, his dark eyebrows furrowed, sitting on top of his piercing dark eyes.

"I didn't know what else to do, Jared! I had to do something, I wasn't given much time to think!" I huffed, sighing heavily, wiping my hair out of my face.

"Where's Sawyer?"

I shrugged, shaking my head. "I don't know. He had a mental breakdown and then left."

"A mental breakdown?" questioned Jared, raising his eyebrows.

"Yeah, he started freaking out about how he couldn't kill us, and then he got angry and left. He's actually crazy!"

Jared nodded, cocking his head to the side as if he was thinking. "Okay, he's weak minded."

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"He's clearly not set in stone about what he's going to do, which means he can easily persuaded. We need to try and manipulate him."

"It might get us killed." I mumbled.