Chapter 38 | The Betrayal

I glared out of the window at my Alpha, confusion masking my face as his eyes met mine.

Scowling, he quickly turned and made his ways into the trees, but not before smirking at me devilishly, disappearing into the dark and dingy forest.

"I thought you had left..." I mumbled to myself, quickly pulling the blinds shut, turning around and leaning up against the wall, running my hands through my hair.

"Um, are you okay?" asked Gia, chuckling, raising a thin eyebrow at me.

I shook my head, running my hands through my dark hair, holding a finger up at my best friend. "Wait just one second."

Making my way out of my front door, I pulled my phone out of my pocket, quickly dialling Dylan's number. "Come on...pick up, pick up."

I gazed down at my phone angrily as the call went to voicemail, gripping it in my hand, almost crushing it to pieces. Growling, I turned, striding towards the treeline quickly, heading in the direction of Dylan's pack, knowing Dean wouldn't be too far.

"Dean!" I yelled as I wound around the trees, turning in every direction, attempting to sniff him out. "Dean!"

Suddenly, Dean's wolf appeared from behind me, his head cocked to the side slightly as he gazed at me through bright eyes.

"Thank God, I thought you'd left," I sighed, smiling, "I have a weird feeling. Alpha Paul was supposed to have left for the Alpha meeting by now, but he's still here, and he didn't look very happy."

Dean's wolf huffed at me, shaking its head, causing me to growl.

"No, don't look at me like that. It just seemed odd. Dylan's driver had said that Alpha Paul had already left. It's probably nothing, but he just seemed...different."

Dean's rolled his eyes, quickly disappearing behind a tree before reappearing wearing a pair of black jeans, his pecks and abs completely on show.

"It's probably nothing Clara, but if you feel uneasy about it then just come back to Dylan's now, invite whoever you want. Alpha Paul is a creep anyway," he said, shrugging, folding his arms across his chest.

"Okay," I said, nodding my head, "I'll text Gia and Matthew to meet us there. Sorry about all of this."

Dean held his hands up, shaking his head, smirking at me. "Anything for the princess."

Rolling my eyes, I followed him through the trees, looking up at him as we sped through the forest, noticing how much he looked like my mate, the sharp jawline and nose almost identical.

"Do you want to stop staring?" teased Dean, which made me avert my eyes, feeling embarrassed that I had been caught looking a little longer than necessary.

"Sorry, you just look a lot like Dylan."

"Everyone says that. They think we're brothers," replied Dean, grabbing my hand and helping me over a large boulder, ensuring I didn't trip or fall, injuring myself.

"You practically are."

Dean shrugged, chewing on the inside of his cheek. "Not anymore."

"Where did you go when you left? Dylan said you would come and go."

"Wherever I felt like," shrugged Dean, chuckling, "humans are fun."

"Fun?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"They're naïve. It's fun to watch how easily I can manipulate them."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. "You really are a dick."