Chapter 12

The second time that I saw the king was in the stables. Apparently this was quite the journey and it took hours upon hours to prepare, but the king only showed his face just as we were about to depart, sticking out terribly with his long robes and layers of fine clothing among the muck and dust.

I stayed standing to the side, in awe of the large animals being moved about and all of the men lugging around equipment. I couldn't believe it. I was finally getting away from the palace and I was going to the mountains! I felt so blessed and was thrilled to jot down everything and anything I saw so I could report back to my sisters when the time came. I wondered if they would even believe me. They might think that I just lied, pulling a story from our legends and trying to turn it to reality.

But I was really going to see these beasts.

And I had picked out my clothing accordingly. Jacob warned me that the mountains could get quite cold, but today was warm. Our ride would begin in the heat. Tomorrow we would be in the woods, then we would climb the mountains that were apparently notorious for changing weather, thin air- whatever that meant- and high winds. The trunk was packed with everything from heavy gowns and gloves to light summer dresses. 

When the king entered the stables, I was the first person he saw. I smiled at him, too excited about the journey ahead to be terribly concerned with proper etiquette. But his eyes swept over me once, starting at my massive grin and ending at my boots. He took in every inch of the dress I made for myself.

If the disapproval hadn't been plain in his expression, I could hear it easily in his voice when he said, "Strange girl."

"Hello father," Leo grunted, not even lifting his eyes from his task. The horse stood perfectly still as he tightened a leather band around its belly, keeping the seat tight to its back. "Here to see us off?"

"You aren't preparing the carriages?" the king asked in astonishment.

"No, it's too rocky. It will be more trouble than its worth."

"You are going over the mountains?"

"Avoiding them means adding on three days one way and going towards the desert. If Archer wants to meet soon, then this is the only way."

"Surely he wouldn't be bothered if he knew that you were bringing along your bride to be," the king pressed. "What will he think if you show up and the princess is on the back of a horse."

"It was Ember's idea in the first place."

I had been watching the whole exchange silently, and when Leo lied, causing the king to turn and gawk at me, I only grinned again. I could have told the truth, stated that I didn't even know what a carriage was and had never been offered one, but I knew that it would displease Leo. If I was going to be spending my next few days with him, I didn't want to be on his bad side.

"I had no idea that horses were ridden where you're from," the king tested, narrowing his gaze as if he could smell the untruth.

"I'll put her on an easy horse, don't worry about her."

But, in truth, I wished the king would worry about me, at least a little bit. It would be nice to know that I was on someone's mind, miles away from my home, with strangers and a man who wanted nothing to do with me.

In no time, we were in the courtyard and everyone was mounting their steeds. I just stared at the spotted beast in front of me who dropped his head and chewed on the grass, even with the metal in his mouth.

"Here, let me help you," Jacob said from behind me. "Sidesaddle can be a little tricky."

"I'm not sure I can do this. I'm going to be so high off the ground."