Chapter 14

The next morning I was horrified to find that I was the last one to wake up. I had destroyed the image that I was a tough and hardy woman that could take on this task in a single night. By the time I stumbled out of my tent, all of the men were laughing and tearing down the canvas material of their own sleeping quarters. Horses were being saddled, resources gathered.

"Good morning, princess. I hope you're alright with missing breakfast because we must leave as soon as you're packed up," Leo greeted, seeming oddly chipper.

My stomach was growling, but the prince's words caught the attention of several men. I was famished and after last night's disappointing meal, I could certainly use fuel. Still, I smiled as best as I could and nodded my head. This was just another one of his games, but I wasn't a weak woman, I had been raised by sirens, damn it.

I mounted my horse without a complaint, only silently wishing that I could sit like the men instead of perching awkwardly on the side. Surely I could pretend to be more comfortable if I was seated normally. But I didn't dare say anything about this weird human custom. Leo clearly wanted me gone and I was not going to give him another reason to try and shove me back into the palace where I would presumably remain until his parents forced him to marry me.

Pirate was a much more accommodating host, even when Jacob pulled the same trick, forcing Leo to ride beside me.

I decided that I would not speak unless spoken to. I was not going to ruin my own adventure. I sat perfectly poised on the saddle and scanned my surroundings often, absorbing anything and everything. I also let my mind wander. How many people did it take to make a dirt trail like this? Even on the island there were only enough pairs of feet to bend the grass for a day or two. There must have been hundreds of people and animals that used this trail to cross over the mountains. And there were wheel tracks in the dirt as well. What were the carts pulling? Fruit or vegetables, wood for construction, or materials for clothing, farm equipment perhaps? Jacob had said that there were other species, other kingdoms. Did people freely go from one kingdom to the next or were there always staged meetings?

My mind was spinning with all of these thoughts, so when we stopped for a brief break, I slid off Pirate and pulled out my journal. I wrote down everything. What I saw: towering trees far older than anything or anyone on our island and low bushes fighting for light. What I heard: bird chirping to one another and a strange chattering noise I had never heard before. What I smelt: pine needles from the trees and something that was distinctly wild. It seemed like I had been transported to another universe.

"What are you doing?" Leo asked, startling me out of my thoughts. My quill jerked, leaving a line of black ink.

"Writing."

"You can write?" 

"It would seem so," I grunted.

"How can you write?"

"The same way you can, I was taught."

"But women don't write. They can't," he sputtered out.

I gave up on my little journal. With a huff, I snapped the book shut and turned to face him. For once, I wouldn't describe his expression as hostile, closer to perplexed. 

"Leo, you can teach anyone to do anything. If you can do it, a woman with the same training can do it."

I expected a retort, maybe even laughter. It was beyond clear that women were not regarded highly in human society. We were commodities, items to be taught and trained. I had already seen a man discipline a woman more intensely than he would've dealt with a horse and I hardly left my room. I couldn't even begin to imagine what I hadn't seen yet. Leo would surely look down on me, as if my education was a sin.

But he just blinked. "I never thought of that."

"I'm not surprised," I sighed.

We continued on riding shortly after, tackling an impressive ascent. Now we took several breaks to let the horses rest, to allow someone to catch up, to take in the sights. I was just thrilled to be able to get off my horse often. Leo was right, as much as I hated to admit it, my body was feeling each thumping step, each blast of wind. 

But, at the end of the day, it was certainly a sight to see. Somehow, it made it all worth it.

I didn't care about Leo or his men and I certainly didn't offer to help. I stood there, facing the direction we had just come from. I thought of taking out my journal and trying to draw it, but something in me said that it would take away from the moment. So I just stared on.

I was on the side of a mountain. I was standing on a rock slab that vibrated with power. And I could see for miles. We were above the trees that had towered over head. Hills rolled and bowed to the mountains before subsiding into flat land that farmers used for crops and livestock. It seemed impossible that the mundane life was so close to this majesty. And we weren't even at the top, the sheer rock faces becoming impassible just above me. I couldn't imagine the feeling of being up there. It must have felt like being on top of the world.

Eventually, I returned to the group and I didn't complain or even wince when I ate their food. To be fair, I was utterly starving. I actually had to be mindful not to eat too much so the others would have enough. Once my belly was sated into silence, I announced that I was going to bed, knowing that was what the men were waiting for.

As expected, the conversation started a few minutes later and I couldn't be bothered to stay awake.

~~~Distraction Section~~~

Hey guys! As you might have seen on my page, we hit 8000 followers! Yay! So this book will be getting eight days of updates. Welcome to day one!

Question of the Day: Have you ever read or written fanfiction?

I honestly have not, unless the published version of After still counts?