Chapter 60

I briefly wondered if anyone would come after me when they noticed that I was gone, but it seemed unlikely. I had not been what the sirens dreamed of and the men who had been entrusted with my safety were merely human. Though I might not be a siren in the purest sense, I certainly had attributes that humans could not possess. No man could swim like I could. And I had learned and loved the ocean my whole life. Even with only moonlight, the ocean floor and its inhabitants would guide me home. I knew the creatures I could trust and the ones I would have to give space. One squeal from a blackfish would send every sane man fleeing back to the safety of the shore.

By the time they prepared the ship for sail, it would be too late.

I swam with all of my strength. I focused on the form of my body and how the water felt against it. Was I dragging in some places? Were my legs too low or too high? Because every second counted in these moments. I spared no breaths, only coming up to the surface when I absolutely had to. And I relied on the strength of my allies, the massive black fish that sliced through the water beside me, silent and steady in the night. 

I could have thought about a thousand things while I swam. It was a long distance, one that would offer up plenty of time to lose my mind. But I remained focused, knowing in my heart that this was the best option. The only option to have a real life for myself, to finally do what needed to be done. I was not welcome with the humans. I was not loved by my siren sisters. If I wanted a place in this world, I would have to carve one out for myself.

I pushed on in the dead of the night. The cold water made the majority of the fish slower, as if their blood was thickening, but even when I stormed through, they rose to attention, fluttering away as a flash of scales, never to be seen again. Not all of us were brave enough to go to war.

But as I neared the shoreline, even the black fish began to slow. The water was getting shallower and more polluted with human activity. Whether it was instinct or intelligence, they knew not to go further. 

I paused then, knowing full well they could not understand me, but thanking them for giving me the courage I so desperately needed. 

Then it was just me.

I recalled in the letter that Leo said that he had ordered the townspeople to move out of the city as the fairies were coming for riches. That did not mean that everyone left, unfortunately.

I came out of the water with slow, even steps, finding the last of my strength. Somehow, facing the place I had come to love was harder than swimming until the moon gave way to a shy sunrise. I felt weak and beaten, knowing that one glance from a commoner might be the difference between me carrying on and scurrying back.

But I was not received with glances of disgust. There were only three humans on the docks that were normally full. And all I could read on their faces was complete and utter horror.

I imagined what they saw for a moment: the dangerous siren who had been sentenced to life far away had suddenly come back. She had risen from the water like a haunted image. Skin pale from the cold, eyes bleak, mouth set.

I was a nightmare. 

But I was not here to be their nightmare. 

Believing that I was something to be feared gave me the boost that I needed. I was not a fearful siren who cried at the sight of the human world. I was not a bloodthirsty human who didn't understand nature and all it's gifts. I was a blend of both.

The soaking dress left a trail in the sand. It was silent here aside from the waves crashing. But even when I scaled a ladder and pulled myself up, out of the docks onto a cobble stone street, no one uttered a single word. They all just stared. And I let them.

Strangely, walking through these streets, walking through my streets, with my hair drenched and dripping, my dress torn, and my eyes burning, I felt more welcome than I ever had. I was not a guest here. And I may not have been formally crowned. But I was the queen. The damn queen. 

And that was only proven to me when I reached the gates and the lone guard overseeing the wall only nodded and allowed me to pass. Was it fear that prompted this or compassion? I didn't know and I didn't care to ask.

I could have gone to my bedroom and gathered up every scrap of clothing, every gem from every room, every book written in the correct language. I could have turned back then with enough riches and bribes to make even the angriest of my sisters forgive me. But I didn't want their forgiveness.

I went to the blacksmith's shed instead. And I found the armor that had been made for me, just like I knew I would.

I put on the pieces I could manage, ignoring anything that might need an additional hand or anything that looked ornamental. I had a piece covering my torso, protecting my heart. Metal shielded the space from my wrist to my elbow against slick blades. A skirt of some sort was fashioned out of chainmail and my knees and ankles were concealed under interlocking pieces that moved as easily and as naturally as my joints. 

This masterpiece had been created for more of a ceremonial purpose, but that didn't stop me from feeling safer immediately. And I would be lying if I didn't appreciate the twirling designs etched into the metal, emphasized with gold. It almost looked like  flames were climbing up my arms and legs. 

I knew that my husband had entered into a war and the likelihood of finding another weapon was small, however the blade that had been created to match the armor was beautiful and therefore very ineffective and small. I moved on to the room where I had first met Jacob, almost sighing with relief when I saw a few swords had been left for the guards protecting the palace from looters. A lightweight beauty became my companion, sheathed to my side. 

As if following my adventures with Jacob, I came to Leo's office. I can admit to having to take a deep breath before entering. As dire as the situation was and as numb as I was to my emotions, I was not an animal. I still got weak when I thought of my grinning husband. Or not longer being able to hear his laugh.

Still, I pushed on. I didn't know where Valemont Valley was, but I knew there were maps in here. 

On a torn piece of paper, I did my best to recreate the map on the wall and thought about my options as I entered. Valemont Valley was closer than Archer's kingdom, thank god, because I was already running short on time. I had to carry on beyond one of the trails we used, but I would not have to go near the mountains or the dense forest. As long as I avoided a set of wetlands, I could ride at a steady pace. 

Like weapons, many horses were being utilized in the war. I knew little Pirate would be in the stables as he had never seemed like a horse willing to charge into battle. But I knew that he would do it for me. 

Though Pirate had a clean stall and fresh hay, I couldn't see another soul in the barn. Of all the things Leo had taken the time to teach me, tacking up my own steed was not one of them. I'm sure that when we thought of our future together back then neither of us would have assumed that there would have been a time when I would have gone riding with Leo's encouragement or at least a stable hand to help me.

"I'm going to need you to trust me," I whispered to the horse. "Because right now, you're all I have."

~~~Distraction Section~~~

I'm still in publishing land, but I thought I would give you all a little update! Hope you enjoyed it.

Question of the Day: What kind of people do you have a hard time respecting?