Chapter 33

I was studying a book as I sat beside Leo in the library, trying to decipher the words I didn't know when he spoke up, "How you you feel about going on an adventure?"

Reasonably, adventures with Leo didn't hold the same appeal that they once had. My mind immediately went to being bucked off in a river, my sore backside from hours of riding, and the disgusting food that I had to shovel into my mouth just to sate my rumbling stomach. I peered over the leather cover of my book, only raising a single eyebrow.

"I promise that I am not inviting you out of ill will. I think that you will enjoy this little outing. It's nowhere near as grueling."

"I'm not sure I believe you," I sighed, tipping my head back so it could rest against the conditioned leather.

"It's much better than studying-" His brow furrowed. "Why on earth are you reading about lock picking?"

"I find it interesting that as soon as someone decides they want to keep something safe, someone else decides that they want access to it. There is no honor system. And the mechanics of it is really fascinating. I feel like I was unaware of so many advancements because of how I grew up."

"Speaking of honor systems, I sentenced the men that attacked you outside of Riverstead yesterday. They will be imprisoned for the rest of their lives, only coming out to be shackled together in a field during harvest."

I blinked, feeling stunned and flustered all at once. Of all the unexpected things for him to say this was not something I even remotely anticipated. And remembering the men, what they had done, it all made me feel a little ill. "Well that is...good I suppose."

"I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have brought it up. I just wanted you to feel comfortable leaving the palace again. It's been three days since the wedding and you haven't left."

"I have to tell you, thinking of those bland beans and how sore my body was is probably not the way to prompt me to go outside either."

The darkness left Leo features, bringing light to his expression once more. "It won't be like that, I promise. This time we will avoid the mountains. We will go north, along the coast. The men that came with Archer are here for something of a vacation so it will be all easy riding and with the king and queen coming along, there will be much better food. Not everyone enjoys the simpler things like me and my men do."

I was still skeptical of him and his intentions- who could blame me- but the idea that I would get to spend time with Willow sparked my interest. 

"What will Willow be doing there?" I asked, pretending to be uninterested as I thumbed the page.

"She loves the ride and the scenery."

"I still feel like this is a trick."

Leo smiled, completely unashamed. "You'll get to ride Pirate and once we are outside of the royal grounds, you can wear those new breeches that you fashioned."

And so it was decided that I was going. The next morning, a dozen horses were saddled and we were surrounded by soldiers I didn't recognize, all wearing Archer's crest. I would have felt a twinge of panic at the thought if Willow hadn't raced up to me, all wild hair and smiling eyes. 

"I will never get over your ability to sew. If you weren't going to  a queen, I would have you as my seamstress! This floral pattern is darling and this bow is to die for!" she squealed, touching the ribbon I had cinched around my waist. The dress wasn't ideal for riding, but I knew she would adore it.

"Huh, the pattern looks really similar to the design on our bedding," Archer commented, but then closed his mouth when he saw Leo discretely shaking his head.