Chapter 48

Oceana accompanied me back to human territory, just like she promised. I spent much of my time on board alone, just watching the ocean roll by, wishing that someone would send me a sign, guiding me. On one hand I felt awful about lying to Leo. True, our beginning could only be described as rocky, however I cared for him now, more than I had ever expected to. And he was trying his best with me, showing me affection and tenderness in ways that I didn't know human men were capable of. He was the partner I intended to share my life with. He deserved to know.

But my sisters deserved a chance at life. A real life where they could make their own choices, meet men that would make them just as happy as Leo made me. They should be allowed to taste the finest pastries, to sleep under different stars, to sit on the backs of fat ponies and in carriages. Who was I to take that away from them when they had just so recently gotten hope again? And who was I to dictate their lives by revealing my burdens too soon.

As much as I hated to admit it, as much as it made me feel ill, Oceana was right. I couldn't come forward with the truth. Not yet. Gazing at the seething sea, I told myself that this was not permanent. Once my sisters and elders had reintegrated themselves back into society and become their own women, I would be honest. By then the humans would surely trust us. And if my impulsive actions ruined my chance at happiness, at least I wasn't pulling the others down with me.

Sensing my emotions, Oceana came beside me, laying her hand on top of mine. 

"I hate this," I whispered, mindful of the sailors so nearby.

"I know. I can't imagine what you are going through right now. Think about it this way: you two have a beautiful life together. It would be a shame to throw it away. It would be a damn crime if you let that disgusting, vile man take more of your happiness than he already has. Leo deserves joy." Her fingers curled around mine, squeezing them. "You deserve joy."

I wasn't so sure, but when we docked on solid ground again, I knew that my mind was made up.

I would do anything for my sisters. 

"Princess Ember," Jacob greeted, smiling. When he spotted Oceana he dropped into a theatrical bow, flashing her a flirty smile that would have made her cheeks turn scarlet if her brain wasn't on another man. "Oceana, what a beautiful surprise."

"Jacob," I murmured with a curt nod. All I could wonder was what he would think of me when the truth came out. He had always seemed so understanding, but I would never blame him if he made the choice to side with the prince he had grown up alongside. Besides, how could anyone trust a lying killer?

"I know you must be very tired from your journey. Come, let's get into the carriage and back to the palace," he offered, bypassing my coldness with charm and ease.

Seeing Oceana press herself up against the glass of the carriage windows only confirmed what needed to be done. She had been here before and was still taken over with such excitement. She felt like she had a whole world in her palms, her whole life ahead of her. 

How could anyone take that away?

When we arrived at the castle, I suddenly couldn't stand being around my sister any longer. Seeing her and all of her enthusiasm should have made the choice easier, but it just made my heart hurt. And it made me furious. She became the scapegoat, like she was the reason that I had to lie and I couldn't force myself to look at her anymore.

"Jacob, would you be able to help Oceana send a letter?" I asked, stepping out of the carriage onto the cobblestones as soon as we came to a stop. "She would like to invite a young man to my coronation and I trust that you will know how to get an envelope in and out of the palace with few eyes on it."