Chapter 45

"I wish you could stay," Leo whispered, holding my hand softly between both of him.

I wished with all my heart that I could have felt the same way. I wished that I had no idea who his brother was and that we would get through the mourning together, my arms always just inches away when he needed an embrace that made him feel okay. But even now, looking at him was hard. Knowing was hard. All I wanted to do was jerk my hands away and board the ship waiting ship and face stormy seas instead.

Who knew if I was ever even coming back. Maybe I could live the rest of my days on that deteriorating island. I could act like none of this had ever happened.

But Leo would come for me. He would find me. He would corner me. things would only get worse if I ran away like a coward.

"I need to go," I insisted, my voice coming out colder than I meant. "My sisters need me."

Leo had the heart to over me a small smile. "I know. I have scheduled the ship pick you up in eight days. I hope that is sufficient? Soon after you return we will have our coronation and then we can finally run this kingdom as we please. We can move forward without all this weight over us."

A good woman would have been excited. Leo was finally letting me step up, to be an active monarch, just like I had begged for. He would be including me in everything and anything that he could. But I was not a good woman.

I was a murderer.

"We shouldn't keep the men waiting," I pushed. 

I needed to get off this island. The sooner the better. Every time I looked at Leo, my stomach tightened with sickness.

I was a liar.

I was a betrayer.

"You're right," he sighed. "I know we didn't really talk about it, but I had some more dresses made and some shoes. I know that everyone has some new things after the last journey, but I imagine that some things already have holes and tears. Plus, I got a container of fresh fruit and there is a crate with a few chickens. I put a book in there with how to care for them. I'm sure Amaya will be more than happy to become the expert."

"I'm sure."

Now my harsh tone caught Leo. His hands finally released mine, which would have been a relief had his thumb not captured my chin, tipping my head up to meet his gaze. Despite all of the sadness that swirled around him, his stare was focused and concerned. "I hope that when you come back you are willing to talk about whatever if going on. I have to be honest, you're scaring me."

I knew that I wasn't scaring him now nearly as much as I would if he found out that I had murdered his brother.

When I gave him no answer, he just pulled me in and placed a soft kiss on my forehead. "Be safe, Em. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," I whispered.

I did my best to fester up cheery spirits on the journey to my sisters. The last thing I needed was them to know that something was wrong. This trip was all about buying myself time, giving me an excuse to not sit through a ceremony dedicated to that vile man, and to help me make some decisions. 

But each time a wave crashed against the boat, I wondered if I would be better off jumping over board. I most likely wouldn't drown. The crew probably wouldn't follow me. I could just swim and swim and swim until I found another tiny island, one of my own. No one would have to know. I was sure that I could rummage for food or simply keep swimming until I hit another civilization, one where people didn't know my name.

But, for whatever reason, I didn't.

We reached the island by nightfall and I disregarded any help that the crew offered, lugging the two trunks of clothing by myself and wrestling with the box housing the chickens. They clucked and squawked in disproval, but I ignored them.  As I went back and forth onto the ship, the girls gathered, but no one spoke until I waved my crew off, telling them I would see them in a week.

"I'm so excited to see you!" Oceana gushed as soon as the ship began moving away. Her arms were around me in a second, her skin still wet from a recent swim I assume.

"Yes, this is quite the surprise," my queen agreed. I glanced at her over Oceana's shoulder and noticed something was off, something was different. I decided it was nothing, that I was used to seeing royalty in flowing gowns with encrusted crowns. "I hope everything is alright with Prince Leo?"

"Yes, of course," I sputtered, easing my sister away. "I just wanted to spend time with my family. Besides, the royals are having a dreary ceremony and Leo told me that I could skip out if I wished."

My words were met with tense silence. Were they suspicious? Did they somehow know about the mourning? Did they know the truth?

"I brought gifts," I announced.

And just like that, it was a mad rush to the boxes. Girls shrieked over gowns. I noticed that there were even dresses made of materials I didn't have yet and shoes that had just recently come into fashion. Leo spared no expense, even tossing in a few extra duvets, pillows, and two stools. 

"What are these?" someone gasped, pulling the top of the box off the box housing the chickens.

"They are birds that provide wonderful eggs for eating. Leo said he included a manual on how to care for them..."

"Here! I have it!" a girl shouted. 

"Birds and dress and blankets," the queen mused, smiling tightly at the shipments. "Leo is certainly a generous prince. I take this to mean that the relationship is going well and that you are being a dutiful wife?"

"Of course!" 

"Really? Your mother came back to me with some concerns," she pressed. So that was it. That was where all the tension came from. She worried that I had been kicked out of the kingdom. 

Oceana's arm was draped over my shoulders, her body nearly vibrating with excitement. "Oh please, there are no concerns. You haven't seen Leo and Ember together. They are a fairytale, those two! So in love. He would move the earth for her."

The queen said nothing, only raising her chin.

Oceana couldn't have cared less. She pulled me tight against her side, her mouth close to my ear. "I have so much to tell you about Banner. You are so lucky to be in love. It is such a wonderful feeling."

I forced a grin, but couldn't help but feel very unlucky.

~~~Distraction Section~~~

Hey everyone! I hope you had a beautiful summer. I finished off my summer with a ten day camping trip. It was glorious and the reason why I haven't posted this week (no wifi for the entirety.) However, I did get some writing done and I'm really excited to share more of Ember and Leo's story with you.

QOTD: What has this pandemic made you grateful for?