Chapter 43

I had initially been anxious to receive a letter from my homeland in the middle of the week. My first thought was negative, worried that something had happened. I was concerned that the last of the food was no longer good, that one of my sisters had been hurt, or that my queen wanted me home for some reason. 

When the Leo's mother had tossed it at me as if it were nothing, I gripped the paper like a lifeline and dashed to my bedroom, only trying to calm myself down after I was seated in my favorite armchair. But when I unfurled the letter, it was only Oceana's handwriting that I saw. And the news was far from bad.

Dear Ember,

I have to tell you that we all miss you dearly. I was so excited when the Queen permitted me to write a letter to you. These long stretches without you are lonely and boring, though I'm sure the stretches without all of us feel very different for you. Your life must be so amazing now. All of the parties, dresses, and interesting people you get to meet.

If you see Willow will you please tell her that we think of her often. She certainly can dance. And her Archer is just sooo handsome. I hope that we will be able to meet with them again soon. Amaya told me to remind you that Jacob is also very handsome and should his relationship not stand the test of time, she would be willing to heal his broken heart.

I immediately lifted my eyes to Maisy who was humming to herself, mending some of my tattered clothing while perched on her own chair. Though she constantly chided Jacob for being informal and fretted over each of his missteps, I knew that they were solid. I could see it in the way she looked at him as if he had placed in stars in the sky for her. As much as I loved Amaya, she had no chance. With a little chuckle I resumed reading.

But I have a proclamation of my own to make and I hope that you will be pleased with it. I found a gentleman that I fancy! His name is Banner and he swept me off my feet. I have to tell you that he is dashing. I know that you must think us girls are silly, falling over men as soon as we meet them, but I have to tell you that there is just something about him. When he smiled at me, I melted, Ember. All of the girls here think I am utterly mad for falling in love with the first man I met, but I have to tell you that I am in fact, very much in love.

Seeing how you and Leo were together, I know that you will understand my desire to be with him. It feels like oceans cannot keep us apart. Unfortunately, queens can. Our queen worries for my safety. I am writing to you in hopes that you will write back, trying to reason with our queen. I would like to come back to your kingdom to spend more time with Banner and you of course! I would love for you to meet him and maybe if you and Leo offered your approval the queen would not be so hesitant. 

Please write back soon! I fear I will die without Banner!

I snorted as I read the last line, setting aside the parchment as I shook my head.

"Is everything alright, my lady?" Maisy wondered, peering up at me.

"Yes, yes, my sister is only being overdramatic. It seems that bringing her here opened up a whole new world for her." I said the words, perhaps a little peeved that my sister was being so reckless, but knowing that I would write back to my queen. As exhausting as it had been to have my sisters here, I missed them already. Surely I would be able to convince our ruler to release Oceana for my coronation. Then my sister would witness my crowning moment and I would be able to assess this mysterious Banner who had charmed Oceana. But I would have to talk to Leo first. "Would you mind sending word that I would like to speak with my husband?" I requested.

After all the time we had spent together, Maisy had grown used to my strange habits and my lack of formalities. So when she became a little pale, I knew I had done something wrong.