Chapter 24

"You know that we are only going to be for two nights, right?" Leo asked when he boarded the ship and saw the four trunks I had brought with me.

"Of course," I said flatly. "I want to look my best."

"Aren't we going to see your family? Wouldn't they love you if you showed up in rags?" he pointed out.

"They would, but that doesn't mean I don't want to have options." Since when did he care so much about my fashion choices? He hadn't been half as bothered when his best friend was teaching me how to wield a blade, but somehow, this was much worse.

"I just think it's strange."

"Maybe I'm strange. Can we just leave it alone, please?" I snapped.

"I was just asking," Leo said.

I was still riddled with tension, wanting to snarl at him. But he was the prince and my job as his betrothed was the follow his wishes. At the very least, I didn't want to anger him to the point that he reeled backwards and decided that taking me home wasn't a good idea. I would be back to square one. 

"I thought you and Jacob were attached at the hip. I was surprised to hear that he wouldn't be joining us."

Evidently, that was the worst thing to say. Leo had his back turned to me as he began untying a rope, but I could almost see each muscle contract and the way his hands stopped moving for a fraction of a second. 

"I thought it would be best if he stayed behind."

At that point I decided that keeping my mouth shut would be the safest option. I didn't say another word until we were slicing through the water, the kingdom falling away into the horizon behind us. I stood at the front of the massive vessel and opened my arms up, smiling towards the sun as the wind whipped my hair about. Scaling mountains and surfing the sea had the same feeling of freedom.

"You aren't wearing any of your crowns," Leo murmured, his voice barely loud enough to carry over the sound of the waves.

I glanced at the crew members, a group of roughened up men who were laughing on the other end of the boat. "My sisters know that I'm not a princess. There is no point in acting like I came from royalty."

Leo studied me, unbothered by the sea spray the let up to kiss his cheeks. "Whether you were a princess when you left or not, you're a princess now." He sucked in a low breath and stared off into the swelling waves. "You will be a queen soon."

"Because neither of us have a choice in the matter," I replied stiffly, thinking about how I would be braving these waters alone, in the middle of the night just to get away from humans.

"That may be true, but that doesn't mean that you aren't worthy, one way or another. I'm sure that  if it were up to Archer and Willow, you would have been crowned days ago."

Was this a compliment from the man who hated me? It didn't seem possible, but the corner of my mouth curled up in the faintest smile. He finally glanced back at me and his features blatantly expressed something that I couldn't even being to read before it vanished. 

"Thank you," I whispered.

It took us just over half of the time to reach the little island that I would be calling home again. It seemed so strange to see it, even in the distance. I knew in my heart that I had lived here my whole life, but seeing the small crumbling castle on the tiny plot of land made something twist in my chest.

Where were all the bakeries I had grown accustomed to? Where were the farmer's fields and the stables where they kept fine horses? All this time I had wanted to go back to safety. I forgot about all of the things I would be giving up in the process. Leaning over the wood, I gazed at the place that I thought would bring me joy, feeling nothing.

I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts, trying to decipher what my emotions were telling me, that I didn't comprehend the sound of swirling water until I was face to face with one of my dear sisters.

"Oceana!" I cried, throwing my arms around my sister.

"Oh Ember, I couldn't believe it was you!"

Everything was wonderful and warm until I heard Leo say something. I craned my neck around, releasing Oceana. Leo was splayed out on the wood, mouth flopped open and his eyes wide. Propped up on his elbows, it looked like he didn't know if he should flee or freeze.

"It's not possible. It's not fucking possible," he whispered to himself.

Oceana took notice to this. I watched all of her confidence and delight seep out of her and turn into shock. Never before had she seen a human male. All of the power that she was using to create a tornado of water to support her body faltered. The whirling water plunged back into the ocean. My beautiful sister's body dropped.

I threw out my hand almost blindly, almost getting yanked off board when I caught her wrist. 

"Use your powers, you idiot," I ordered through gritted teeth.

Like she remembered who and what she was, her eyes lit up to a glowing blue. With a flick of her free wrist, she commanded the ocean to rise once more. It was circling her feet in no time, supporting the majority of her weight. But I wasn't taking any chances. I yanked her on board.

We fell onto the wood planking, laughing as we went. 

This was it. This was what I missed. I could live without meats marinated in all kinds of sauces. I could live without horses and mountain adventures. But I could not live without my sisters.

It was Oceana who gathered herself more quickly. One moment she was laughing, the next she was staggering onto her bare feet. Anxious blue eyes flashed to me before she pinched her soaked skirt in between two fingers and lowered herself into a wobbly curtsey. 

"Leo, this is my sister, Oceana. Oceana, this is Leo, the prince I am supposed to marry."

Oceana immediately turned to a tomato red, but was unable to take her eyes off of Leo. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know you two were coming and now I'm here and I look like this-"

"It's fine, really," Leo finally said. His voice was a little wavering, as was his balance as he slowly stood back up.

It was then that I saw my sister through his eyes. Even fresh from the ocean, she was a beauty. Her blue eyes shimmered like the deepest, clearest pools of water and her blonde hair shone as if it were rays of sunshine. Her dress clung to her long, slender legs and all I could think about was the other girls saying that I wasn't pretty enough to be chosen to be a princess.

"I didn't mean to frighten you. We never have visitors. I knew that a ship meant that Ember was back," Oceana murmured.

"It's quite alright," Leo stated a little too gruffy. "Let's just get anchored and Ember can greet the rest of your family, before they all start boarding my ship."

"Oh no," Oceana laughed, twisting her blonde hair until water splashed onto the floor. "I am the only one strong enough to do that. The other girls can create waves or compel, but they can't do this. You don't have to worry about anyone else hopping on board."

Blood drained out of Leo's face, but one of his crew mates patted him on the back and announced that it was safe for us to unload onto land.

~~~Question of the Day~~~

What is your most bizarre habit?

I hum a certain melody or make little squeaks when I get nervous.