Chapter 13

By the time Leo indicated that we should set up camp, I was on the brink of begging for mercy. I had thought today would be simple. I thought that I could sit on the back of the horse and everything would just happen, and for the most part, it did. But there was much more to riding than that. Everyone was clucking and squeezing the horses' sides or whistling, or pulling on their mouths. There were times when I had to stand for some reason, times when I had to help the horse with a descent by leaning this way and that or attempt to steer around rocks the size of barn cats.

And, to be frank, my body wasn't used to sitting for so long on something so uncomfortable with a steady thump. Muscles I didn't know existed ached and backside was starting to go a little numb.

When Jacob held onto the horse for me so I could slide off, I found that my legs hardly worked at all now and almost sank into the grass. I clawed at the side-saddle to stay upright, grunting with the effort.

"Are you alright?" Jacob asked immediately, moving to steady me but stopping short.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Leo turn, his attention no longer stuck on unloading.

I kept my nails entrenched in the leather. "I'm fine, thank you for asking." My voice was steady and hard.

"Are you sure?" Jacob pressed.

"Yes."

He left it at that and took my horse away. Thankfully, I was able to stand now. I was left in a whirlwind of men moving about, carrying chunks of material, hammering stakes into the ground, gathering up wood from the nearby forest. I offered to help someone dragging a piece of canvas. The guard cast one glance at the prince and shook his head, struggling on by himself. I was turned down the second time I wanted to assist, so I opted for collecting twigs and branches without asking anyone for permission or guidance. 

The men started a small fire that was used to keep everyone warm and to heat up the communal meal as the sun went down, descending behind the mountains. As I gazed at the looming forms- towering shadows- I wondered if the tale of Olympus was true, and if so, would I be riding into the house of the gods without even knowing it. How could it not be true, with the mountains reaching up into the sky like giants? Surely they were kissing the heavens.

As we sat around the fire, food was passed around and I couldn't stop myself from wrinkling my nose at the flavors in my mouth. I suppose I couldn't expect the same quality of food out here that I could when I had a full kitchen waiting for my menu each morning. But, at this point, I would have opted for fish and potatoes that I had everyday on the island. I could hear a stream in the distance, maybe I could sneak away and catch something.

"Seems like you have become quite accustomed to the palace," Leo stated, breaking the silence that circled the campfire.

I didn't have to glance around to know that I was being glared at. I had offended the men somehow. I stared hard at the beans in the pot, wondering why this man had to bait me so.

"I'm learning as I go. I just wasn't expecting the smokiness," I explained, carefully handing the warm pot to the man beside me.

"Jacob will take you back first thing tomorrow. I know that you must be sore from today. The aches you feel now are dull in comparison to what will  be coming, especially after a few nights of sleeping on the ground."

"Oh, I'm quite alright to continue on. The king wanted me to meet the new werewolf queen and I would hate to disappoint. Surely, King Archer knows that I'm coming with you and has told his wife as well. I want to make a good impression."

Leo offered me what I assume was supposed to be a smile, but from where I was sitting, it was a sneer only illuminated by the leaping flames between us. "I can explain your absence. There is no reason you should endure this journey. Surely a good king would understand that fine women don't cross mountains."