Chapter 52

I imagined that a lot of women were ecstatic on the day of their coronation. I pictured young princesses giggling and running about with delight, married and ready for the next part of their life. The power and glamour of a world they hardly understood was soon to be theirs. I imagined that they all wore a gold dress similar to the one that Maisy was trying to rope me into. A dress that shimmered in the sun and moved like a fountain of the fine metal. A dress that I had agreed to only a few days ago.

"No, not that one," I said, the colour making me feel sick all of the sudden. Or maybe it was I was about to do that made me sick. I was going to enter into my life as a queen while still harbouring secrets from the one I loved the most. I was going to agree to rule beside a man who may very well detest me as soon as he knew.

But I had promised. I had promised Oceana that I would do this for her and for the other sirens. I was giving them a choice, a chance at a normal life. I just had to hold on for a little while longer. A few months would be enough to convince the people, wouldn't it? they would see my sisters as one of them, then I could break the news. And break my entire world.

"But this is the dress that was made for today," Maisy replied, stunned. "You approved it yourself. Do you see something that is amiss? I'm sure we could get someone in here to fix it right away." she pressed.

I couldn't even meet her eyes in the mirror. Glancing down at my shoes, I shook my head. "I understand it is tradition, but that gown is not for me."

"But-"

"Any other dress will do."

Maisy couldn't hide her shock, gazing at the metallic gown while she fished another two out of the armoire. I could almost hear her thoughts, wondering what was wrong with me if I were going to refuse such a gorgeous piece of art. Still, she did her duty and came back with my other options, the only dresses grand enough that still had some gold on them.

A navy dress caught my eye right away. Dark as the middle sea with gold dripping down the bodice like a sunrise. It reminded me of my sisters and the life that I was giving them. I should have picked it.

But the red dress was fire. It was unlike anything I had ever seen on any woman in this kingdom. Flaming and sharp, it was stitched to include flat gold medallions connected with vertical stripes of stitched gold. Intricate patterns were swirled down the front of the entire gown, not cinching at the waist like the dresses that were so common now. Instead, it had gold plating and designs so thick on the neckline, it almost looked like a chest plate for battle. 

Because this was a battle. Choosing between my sisters' futures and telling the man who meant the world to me the truth. 

"I want the red one."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, and I want the kohl that I brought back from the island."   

I was a force to be reckoned with when I left my bedroom. I was offered help from a dozen people at least, but I brushed them all off. Maisy was helping with my dress, carrying any part of it that would drag on the floor and I couldn't be bothered to care about anything beyond that. We loaded into a waiting carriage and arrived at the church without much fuss and were escorted to a side room where we would wait for the pews to fill.

Leo arrived shortly after me. The moment I saw him, I felt my whole body tighten, ready to defend my choice of dress as he had clearly taken the traditional route. But it was only a quick sweep of his eyes and a glorious grin that could have melted mountain top glaciers.

"I wondered if you would actually wear that gold dress."

"Are you disappointed?" I asked, feeling some part of me that almost wanted a reaction out of him.

"Never. You look amazing in this dress. If this is what you are comfortable in, then I am happy."

I allowed myself a tiny smile then. Because there were bad things happening, because I wasn't the wife that I had wanted to be, but some things were still okay. Leo and I were still okay. And though I had blood on my hands, I deserved happiness too, even in small amounts. 

"Jacob told me that Oceana has been trying to seek you out for some time, but you keep hidden in your room." His tone was still gentle now, but more serious. "Is everything alright?"

My smile tightened. "Yes, of course. I just wanted time to myself. I forgot how close everyone was on the island. I needed time to relax and to be mindful of what was to come."

"And here we are," Leo said with a grin.

I kept my mind as blank as possible when the ceremony started. Leo shot me one last grin before he went in, obviously the man had to go first, then I walked up the church aisle alone, chin ticked up to make sure that everyone could see the kohl around my eyes, my prominent nose, and my fiery dress. 

Something awful had happened to me, but I deserved happiness. 

I met Leo at the altar again and caught him glancing at me out of the corner of his eye. It was a gaze filled with pride and lust all at once, like I had been placed on this earth just for him and nothing could make him happier. 

Yes, the truth would be revealed eventually, but not today. If nothing else, we would have this moment and each of the memories before.

There was hushed awe over the crowd in the pews when the priest began the ceremony. I knew each step by heart, allowing my body to flow on its own, stepping aside when I needed to, bowing at the right times while the crown was placed on Leo's perfect golden curls. I lost track of time, thinking about nothing, the only sign of duration was my aching feet.

Then it was my turn. 

The old, hunch priest turned to me, his milky eyes focused.

"Princess Ember, do you accept the burden of the people?"

"Yes."

 "Do you swear to rule with compassion and loyalty to your subjects?"

"Yes."

"Do you vow to oversee with honesty and integrity?"

"Y-"

A booming masculine voice cut me off. "I'm afraid I have an objection to the crowning."

Time seemed to stop for a moment. The only thing that I could think was that my subconscious had over powered me and was now twisting reality in my mind. Because there was no way someone else would stop this.

Leo was faster, and when he responded by turning around I knew this went far beyond a voice in my own mind. "Have him removed," he ordered instantly, no indecision or concern.

When I turned around as well, I saw guards moving immediately to fulfill their new king's request. A wave of uniforms was coming for the man I had never seen before, standing arrogantly in the middle of the church aisle, dark hair spilling down his shirt collar, blue eyes like lightning strikes. The smirk on his lips made my skin crawl.

And there, out of the corner of my eyes, I saw my dear sister. Oceana was suddenly pale. Her lips were not moving but her hand was stretched out towards him, like she was reaching for him, like she wanted to draw him back into the pew and push those words back into his mouth.

But as one of the guards grabbed his shoulder, the man only spoke again.

"Surely you wouldn't arrest me for trying to provide you with information," the man taunted, unbothered that his wrists were being tied behind his back.

"I will arrest anyone who interrupts my wife being crowned. Get him out of here."

The man was jerked backwards. But he didn't stop smiling. "What if I told you I knew who killed your brother?"

~~~Distraction Section~~~

How are yall? I felt like tossing in a bonus chapter because I am dying for you guys to get to the drama! I have been sitting on this chapter for weeks now and couldn't hold it back any longer! I also tossed out the idea of a giveaway when I hit a ten thousand followers. Let me know if that is something you would be interested in.

Question of the Day: What is your occupation?