Chapter 24

Journal Entry #62
December 10, 1941

With what happened three days ago, I've been tossing and turning in my sleep, which has led me to write this in the early morning.

Believe it or not, that day still haunts me.

Today is the funeral for the people, soldiers, nurses, etc., that have fallen because of the attack on Pearl.

My thoughts are all scattered as my heart is in the same shape.

When Danny and I kissed, I still felt the spark when our lips touched. Just the simple, light spark that people feel when they kiss the person they love.

Love.

It seems like a silly emotion. One minute your heart is filled with joy and happiness, then the next, your heart is frayed and crushed.

So why does it destroy so many people?

Why does it hurt so much?

What am I saying.

Love is a dangerous emotion. It can make you feel like you are living on top of the world, or leave you falling off of cloud 9.

But the best thing I need to do right now, is to stop thinking about it, or it's going to consume me completely until it drowns me.

I should head to bed and at least get a couple hours of sleep in.

Signed,
Emiellia Rogers

I shut my journal and place the pen next to it, and run my fingers through my light brown hair. I look up at the alarm clock to see it was a quarter past 2, as I quietly sigh, and got up from my seat and silently made my way to the kitchen, hoping not to wake anyone.

Luck wasn't on my side as I heard the light patter of feet hitting on the hardwood floor and I turn to see Evelyn standing there, as she rubs her eyes, getting used to the lighting in the room.

"Ev, what are you doing up at this hour?" I ask her quietly.

"I can't sleep, how about you? Why are you up at 2:26 in the morning?" She asked back.

I lightly chuckle and look at her, then turn  around, grabbing two mugs from the top cupboard and place them onto the counter.

"I can't sleep either." I admit.

I hear her footsteps approaching me as I only focus on grabbing milk from the fridge. I place it on the counter and Evelyn lightly grab my wrist, and I stop and look at her.

"What?" I asked her, but she didn't say anything, as she pulled me into a hug. Hesitantly, I wrap my arms around her and lay my chin on top of her head.

"Honestly Emi, I'm scared. That's why I can't sleep." She told me as she lightly sobbed on my shoulder.

Bringing my hand up, I start rubbing small circles on her back, and whispering calming words in her ear.

"Plus, the funeral today has me tossing and turning thinking about it." Knowing what she was talking about, I squeeze her a little tighter.

"I know, but don't worry about it okay? She's in a better place and you couldn't help what happened to her. Plus, I'm pretty sure that worry and stress isn't good on the baby." I tell her and she lets out a small chuckle.