Chapter 25

Evelyn's P.O.V

After the funeral ended, we all started heading back to the hut, but I slowed by pace to a stop, not ready to go back yet.
Emiellia must've noticed me slowing down, as she stopped to look at me, confused.

"You okay Ev?" She asked me.

I nodded my head, "Yeah I'm fine, just go on without me. I'll meet up with you guys in a later." I told her.

She mutters an okay and turns around to catch back up with our friends.

I exhaled a long breath, and turned around to try and find Rafe to talk with him.
As I was searching for him, I tried thinking of ways to break the news to him, after all, I was the one who broke his heart and I need to tell him myself.

When he "died", my stomach dropped when he found out the news, but only for him to show up in Hawaii, in the flesh.
After getting shot down in England and getting saved by a French fishing boat, I was grateful that he was alive and okay, but a hole was left in my heart when left and supposedly "died".
So when he showed up, it felt like my heart was torn in two and made things complicated between us.
Not just between Rafe and I, no, it made Danny and I's new relationship hard too.
In my heart, I know that I still love Rafe, but I also love Danny, which leaves my heart split between both men.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I took in my surroundings and noticed I wondered into a small gas station, surrounded by a couple of small houses.
I saw a middle aged woman hanging up her laundry, and decided to walk up to her to ask if she's a man looking like Rafe.

"Hello, I was wondering if you happened to see a male about 6 feet tall, and wearing a military uniform?" I asked her.

She nods her head and points to a small house, about one house away from hers.

"I saw a man that fits your description walk into that small hut."

I thanked her and made my way over to it.
The minute I stepped foot into the building, Rafe turned his attention to me.
My eyebrows furrowed as thought of him leaving again flooded my brain, but I shake the thought and clear my throat.

"Packing." I say.

He looks at me, then back at the clothing as he puts in a jacket he folded into his duffel bag.

"Orders." He simply answered.

Thoughts rush to my head again, thinking hard about what these "orders" were, then that's when I remembered Danny and Rafe both received a yellow half sheet of paper from a military official at the funeral.

"What kind?" I ask, finally coming up with a suitable response. He focuses his attention still on packing as he answers my question.

"The top secret kind of orders."

"You mean the dangerous kind." I say to him and myself, feeling my heart fall to my stomach at the thought.

He looks at me for a second, then looks away as I lean on the door frame, glancing outside for a second, then back at him.

"I can't seem to find Danny anywhere." I tell him.

His jaw slightly tighten as I realized it probably wasn't the best thing to say to start a conversion, especially when you're talking about the guy you fell in love with, who happens to be his best friend.