Chapter 6

April 28, 1941

"Did you know that there is about 100 ships on Pearl?" Sandra told us as she read from a brochure.

"How many sailors are there per ship?" Betty asked.

As the girls were chatting with each other, I couldn't help but let my mind wander and wonder if my brother was on one of the 100 ships in Pearl.

"What do you think Em?"

I snapped out of my thoughts by Betty, who asked me a question.

"Eh don't bother, she's thinking about her fly boy that I saw with her that night in New York." Barbra teased.

All the nurses started giggling as a blush tinted my cheeks, heck even Evelyn was giggling.

I giggle and decide to play along.

"Oh, but I'm still working on a sailor." I say.

"Told ya she would!" Betty cheered.

She takes her white sunglasses with palm trees on the sides of them and stands up next to Barbra.

"It's paradise here!"

I could help but smile and watch as both Barbra and Betty start waving at the sailors that were waving at us or giving us wolf whistles.

Deciding to join into the fun, and stand next to Barbra and start waving at them.

"See ya on the beach, boys!" Barbra and I say in unison.

She turns around to face the rest of the nurses.

"We're in Hawaii!" She say excited.

I smile turn back to see the rest of the nurses also happy to be in literal paradise.

'If it's like this everyday, I could get used to this.'

~
After only being 30 minutes here in Hawaii, Barbra, Betty, and Martha were itching to go to the beach already.

"C'mon Ev, it will be fun!" Barbra whined as we got to the place us nurses were going to stay at.

Evelyn, Betty, and I all shared one room, while the next room was Barbra, Martha, and Sandra.

I place my suitcase on my bed as I start unpacking listening as Betty and Barbra try to convince Evelyn to go to the beach with us.

"I don't know girls. Maybe some other time." Evelyn said to the two.

They both begged and pleaded for Evelyn to go to the beach, but Evelyn would turn them down every time.

Finally the girls gave up and their shoulders slumped.

"Okay fine, but you have to promise us you will come to the beach with us." Betty said.

"Okay, I promise." Evelyn said.

The two girls squealed and ran out of the room, while I turn my attention to Evelyn who was now unpacking.