Chapter 5

(Picture above from 'Pinterest')

Well, the rumor turned out to be true.

The Navy shipped us off to Pearl Harbor.

It's been a couple weeks since I've seen Danny and not gonna lie, I kinda missed him.

I sigh and sat up on the bed and leaned my back against the headboard.

The other nurses were still asleep, while the sky was just starting to wake.

Quietly, I grab my journal from the night side table and the pen next to it and took out the bookmark to reveal an empty page.

Even though it was still early morning, there was enough sunlight for me to see what I was writing.

Journal Entry #47
Monday April 16th 1941

In a couple of days, we arrive in Hawaii after a couple months on sea.
It has felt like years at this point.
A couple times on sea, I've gotten a bit sea sick, but otherwise I'm okay.
On sea, Ev has been a little wistful since Rafe left for England.
I remember that night as well...

I finished taking off the last of my makeup, and once I opened the bathroom door to leave, I saw Evelyn sitting on the edge of her bed with her head in her hands.

Oh my gosh, Ev are you okay?!" I ask rushing over to her.

She looks up from her hands and there was tear streaks down her cheeks and her eyes were a little pink.

"I-It's Rafe, H-He volunteered to go to England and he doesn't want me to see him off." She sobbed.

I pull her into a hug and held her tight, rubbing her back.

Not only is Evelyn my best friend, but she is like a sister to me.

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that Ev. Maybe he does." I say to her.

She gives me a nod as a response.

"My cousin from Michigan did that when he was going to study in New York to be a teacher. Let's just say my aunt scowled him when he came back. The best part is that she did this in front of his girlfriend, now wife." I say
"During Christmas gatherings, we always embarrass him with that story." I add.

She lets out a small giggle and pulls away from the hug and grabs a tissue to wipe her eyes and another to blow her nose.

"Again I'm sorry Ev." I say standing up as she goes to throw away her tissues in the bathroom.

"It's okay. Maybe tomorrow we can wake up early and try to get to the train station." She tells me as she sits on her bed.

"Okay. Night Ev." I say as I get into my bed.

"Goodnight Em." She says as she crawls into her own bed and shuts off the lamp light and letting sleep engulf me.

The morning came faster that I would have liked it.

When I woke up, I checked the time.

'4:23 A.M. Enough time to get ready.' I think.

I get out of bed and grabbed my navy blue dress and a thin black belt with a pair of black heels to go with it, and laid the dress on the bed and went into the bathroom to the shower.

About 30 minutes later, I get out of the shower and wrap my silk white robe around my body and start drying my hair with a towel, along with using a hair dryer.
~

I finish up curling the last section of my hair and making sure I didn't miss any places, I unplug the curling iron and rest it on the counter.

When I do curl my hair, I like to do loose curls and leave my long light brown hair down.