Chapter 26

Ever since I got back home from the airport, my leg hasn't stopped bouncing, as we ate dinner this evening. I look across the table to see Evelyn biting her nails nervously. She must've noticed me looking at her as she stops biting her nails and instead, starts to play with her fork.

I looked down at my plate of food, and twirled my fork into the spaghetti, watching the noodles spin around it. As I kept looking at it, the noodles represented my heart's current condition, and how it's all twisted.

Even after what was said at the airport. It was still replaying constantly in my head.

Earlier

"That was one of those days I don't think I could ever forget." I confess. I watch him nod his head as he fidgets with his hat, turning the rim and moved it in a circular motion.

"Yeah."

The silence consumes us for a bit, until I clear my throat, trying to swallow the question that's been stuck in my head for the past hour.

"Going out to fight again, huh?" I asked him.

He nods and answers. "Yeah."

There was another pregnant pause between us before I decided to say something else. "Can you promise me something?"

He turns his body towards me and nods his head, a gesture for me to continue.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Promise me that you aren't going to get hurt?"

A breath gets caught in his throat,

"Emiellia-"

Before he could finish the sentence, I stood up from the wooden bench and faced him with a sincere and serious face.

"No, please. Promise me you aren't going to get hurt. I understand that your life and others' will be in danger because of this, but please, please try not to get yourself hurt. " I plead.

He was silent for a bit, then nodded his head, looking me in the eyes.

"I promise."

I smiled at him and mumbled a thank you to him. I started to make my way to leave, when Danny spoke up, "I'm going to miss you."

I stopped and turned slowly towards him with a small smile, trying my best not to cry in front of him. "I'll miss you too, Daniel Walker. Don't do anything that could or would cost you your life. " I admit, lightly joking.

He returns the smile and gets up from the bench to give me a warm embrace. I lay my head in his neck, inhaling his scent of cologne and a hint of after shave.

"I won't Emiellia Rogers."

Smiling against his uniform, I hug him a bit tighter against my body, relishing the fact that this might be the last time I get to hug him, to feel his arms around me.

"Good."

After reluctantly pulling away from each other, I gave him one last smile before walking away. I got two steps away from him, when I felt his hand gently grab my small wrist, causing me to stop.

I turned and looked at him with confusion etched on my face. He grabs both my hands, shooting small electrified bolts across them. "Before I go, I just want to get something off my chest." He takes a deep breath, then starts again, "I love you. And I'm sorry that I broke your heart. There isn't a day where I don't regret breaking your heart, because I do."