Chapter 17

November 29, 1941

As weeks went by, I started to get closer to the new recruits more than my friends. Of course I talked to my friends a couple of times, but most of my day was hanging out with the others.

I haven't really spoken to Evelyn, nor Danny of that matter, but it still hurt when I heard that Evelyn and Danny were with each other. Weather it be a beach date, or an actual date.

But, every time one of the nurses brought it up and how I felt, I brushed it off and smiled saying I was fine.

I sighed rubbing my temples trying to ease my headache away from looking at paperwork and medical charts for my shift. I advert my gaze from the papers to the clock, which read a quarter till 11.

"This is exactly why I despise working night shifts." I mumble to myself as stand up and brush off my pencil skirt and leaving my desk for a break.

As I was walking down the hallway to the kitchen, I felt someone lightly tap my shoulder as I jumped a bit in surprise. I turn around to see someone I didn't expect to be here, especially so late.

"I heard you have night shift, so I thought I could come over and help you for a bit." She said.

Every fiber in my body wanted me to turn back around and head to the kitchen to avoid her as much as possible, but knowing Evelyn like the back of my hand, I knew that it was impossible.

Emotions ran through my body as they all fought for dominance. Sadness, anger, hurt, annoyance, all of it.

"Umm, sure, I mean I don't have that much left, but I guess." I say simply.

I turned back around and headed for the kitchen, and as I started walking, I heard a pair of black pumps clicking on the tile floor as they walked next to me.

Knowing it was Evelyn, I didn't say anything to her and just kept my thoughts to myself as we arrived in the kitchen.

From the time I was in there making myself some supper, the tension in the air was so thick and awkward, that not just an ordinary kitchen knife would be able to slice through it.

Evelyn cleared her throat, clearly sensing the awkward tension, and came over to me as she started putting away the meat and cheese, that I already put on my sandwich, and returned to her spot.

I knew that one day I would have to talk to Evelyn, I just didn't expect it to be this early for this matter.

"I heard you haven't been feeling well the last passed month." Evelyn said.

I could only nod my head at her statement, telling her that she heard right. I haven't been feeling the greatest throughout the month, but I shook it off and took some ibuprofen.

Of course, it was nothing out of the ordinary, nausea, excessive eating, headaches and mood swings.

Although I did have a suspicion of what I might have, but I wasn't sick. I have been stressed out more, and it has definitely taken a toll on me.

"Yeah, but I also heard from the other nurses that you threw up this morning." I tell her, as I grab a fresh ripe pineapple from the counter and started making pineapple chunks. I offered a piece to Evelyn and she gratefully took it, muttering a thank you.

"Yeah I haven't." She said.

I looked from the corner of my eye as I saw her combing her fingers through her hair and tidying up her skirt, signaling that she was nervous and wasn't telling me anything.

I sighed and placed the sliced fruit onto my plate, with my sandwich on it, and headed back to my desk to finish my work.

"They told me you came out of the bathroom looking a bit pale." I say as I walked with her.