Chapter 10

The moment Danny came up to us, he pulled Evelyn into a sympathetic hug.

Not knowing what to do in this situation and frozen in place, I didn't notice Evelyn pulled me into a hug, but I was pulled out of my frozen state when I felt a tear fall onto my shoulder.

I pull her into a hug, while Danny stands there with a sad heartbroken face.

Evelyn pulls out of the hug and brushes her tears away with her fingers.

My fact that my best friend and my boyfriend looked and felt so heartbroken, I couldn't help, but feel my heart squeeze.

"I'm,"

But I couldn't finish my sentence.

I cleared my throat that felt dry and whispered in Evelyn's ear that I would leave her and Danny to talk with each other, since they both knew Rafe.

I was still in shock that I didn't realize that I was in front of the house and standing at the door with my hand in a fist about to knock on the door.

I drop my hand back to my side and stared at the door unknowing what to do.

I open the screen door, then opened the door to see the nurses laughing, talking, and eating cookies.

Sandra was the first to notice me standing by the door not moving.

"Em, are you alright?" Sandra asked.

That's when the other nurses turned their attention to me as their chatter quieted down as I stood there silent and frozen in place.

"Em? What going on? You look like you've seen a-"

"Rafe's dead." I say with a monotone voice as I cut Barbra off mid-sentence.

"Rafe's dead." I repeat as a tear slips down my face as the nurses came up to me and engulfed me into a hug.

I don't know why I am crying, but it's probably from hearing about someone's death, then saying it out loud just sounds horrible.

"Evelyn's with Danny." I tell him and they nod their heads still giving me sad smiles.

"At least she is okay, but are you?" Sandra asked me.

I wipe my tears with my fingers and nodded my head.

"Yeah I'll be just fine. When Evelyn gets here, she will be more heartbroken than I am." I tell them. "I'm gonna head to the beach. To calm down."

With one last look, I turn my back on them and went out of the house to head to the beach.
-
Third P.O.V

10 minutes after Emiellia left, the front door opened and the nurses turned their attention to see Evelyn walking in with Danny standing next to her as both of them held solemn looks on their faces.

Evelyn has visible tear streaks running down her cheeks and her eyes were a bit red and puffy.

The nurses then went over to her and pulled her into a hug, just like they did with Emiellia.

"Wh-where's Emiellia?" Evelyn asked.

"She went to the beach to calm down." Barbra told the sad girl.

She nodded her head as Betty and Sandra lead Evelyn out of the main room and into her shared room.

"We doing a tribute at the bar called Hula-la for Rafe. I'll go tell Emiellia about it." He told the girls as he left the house.

With one more look, he headed for the beach.
-
Emiellia's P.O.V

I didn't know what time it was, but at this point, I just wanted to sit here and watch the sunset for the rest of the day.

I noticed out of the corner of my eye, someone sat next to me.

"Hey." Said a familiar voice.

I turn my head to see Danny sitting next to me still in his military uniform.

I give him a polite smile then, looked back at the sunset.

"You know, one day, I want to be able to go up in the sky and look at the sunset from the clouds." I comment.

"Well, maybe I can take you up there one day." Danny tells me.

I look at him to notice that he also looked at me.

"We're doing a tribute for Rafe tomorrow at the Hula-la." He tells me while grabbing my hand giving it a light squeeze.

"I'll go." I tell him as I return the gesture.

I could see him smile lightly but also sadly from the corner of my eye.

"Okay."

After that, we sat there talking every once in a while.

"Well, I should head back." Danny says as he pulls himself off the sandy beach and brushes off some sand off his pants.

He puts a hand out for me to make, and I accept the offer as he pulls me to his feet as I wipe the sand off the bottom of my dress.

Once we get back to the house, I kiss Danny's cheek and thanked him for taking me home.

I get out of his car and watched as he drove back to his barracks.

Once I opened the door, I saw Barbra and Martha standing by the door and looked at me.

"Hey, did Ev get home?" I ask them.

They nod their heads.

"Yeah, Betty is in the room with her and Sandra went to the hospital to work." Barbra told me.

I nod my head and turn my attention to the clock as it was a quarter till 8.

"I'll make something. What would you like?" I ask them.

"How about sandwiches and pineapple. I heard Hawaii has really good pineapples." Martha suggests.

I smile at her.

"Sounds perfect."

After 20 minutes of chopping up pineapple into chunks and making the sandwiches, we had made six of them in total.

I grabbed two plates and Barbra knocked on the bedroom door, where Evelyn and Betty were in.

The door opens and Betty is the one standing in the door way.

"Hey, we made sandwiches and we brought you and Ev two of them." Barbra says.

Betty gives us a smile and grabs the plates from my hands.

"How is she?" I ask her and Betty looks back into the room.

"Right now she's asleep, but she's been doing a lot better." She answers.

I nod my head.

"Here, Betty, you go ahead and eat supper, and maybe the best thing we can do is let her get some rest." I tell her.

"Yeah, it would be for the best."

Betty then turns around and puts one of the plates on the nightstand, between mine and Evelyn's bed, and writes a note and places it next to the food.

She then turns around and leaves the room giving us a smile as a thanks and heads to the dining room.

Barbra also follows Betty as I stand there looking at Evelyn with a remorseful look painted on my face.

As I walked into the room, I noticed dried tears on the white pillow case and tear marks staining her cheeks.

I pet the crown of her hair and turned around leaving the room, closing the door quietly to make sure I don't disturb Evelyn's well needed rest.
~
I'm gonna end this chapter here.
Thanks for reading and I hope you, as usual, enjoyed this chapter!
Have a good day where ever you are!
-NewWriterOnTheBlock_
I do not own 'Pearl Harbor' or its characters. I only own my character.
(Word Count: 1207)