Chapter 15

The morning rolled around and I woke up 30 minutes before my alarm and decided to get dressed early.

After what I heard yesterday, I just wanted to get to work early and avoid any interaction with anyone, even the other nurses.

I put on my uniform, placed mascara and red lipstick on my face, and pinned up my brown hair in a bun with a hair tie and bobby pins, then quickly and quietly left my room.

I grabbed my purse and left the house, feeling the cool air nip at my skin. I wrap my white cardigan tightly around my body and walked up the stairs to the hospital.

I waved to a nurse that gets there early, and made my way into ward 3 and started organizing the shelves, that had medical equipment and supplies inside it.

As I was putting away some cotton balls into the glass containers, I heard the patter of feet hitting the tile as it echoed off the walls and got gradually got louder the closer it got to me.

"Lieutenant Rogers, thank goodness your here," I turn my head to one of the doctors standing only a couple feet away from me. I give him a polite smile.

"Hello Dr., what do you need help with?" I ask him.

"I need help in the operating room. I need someone to hand me some supplies and prep it, since Jennifer is sick. So, would you be willing to help me?" He looks at me hopefully.

I smile and place the last cotton ball into the jar and closed the glass cabinet doors and faced the doctor. "Sure, that would be fine." I respond.

Relief flooded his face as it was reloaded with a gentle smile. "Thank you Lieutenant Rogers."

I nod my head as we both start walking in the same pace to the Operating Room.

Prepping and helping the doctor in the operating room, time flew by and once it ended as it was already 8:40.

I gulp nervously as I remember the nurses arrive around 7:30 in the morning. Since Barbra had to give the tour around the hospital to the new nurses that were arriving today, there was no way I could avoid them, especially Evelyn.

Knowing I had to be an adult about this, I fixed my stance and left the recovery room and into ward 3, where my purse and cardigan are.

Once I start getting closer to the ward, I hear murmurs of voices. I closer I got to the ward, the chatter got louder.

I turn the corner to see Betty, Barbra, and Sandra in the room, with Evelyn not in sight and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

Betty must've noticed my silhouette standing there as her smile turned into a concerned face.

"Hey you weren't at the house this morning, where were you?" Betty asked me. The nurses noticed Betty looking at the entrance and saw me standing there.

Knowing they've already seen me, I decided to go into the room to at least speak to them.

"I decided to come in early this morning, since I knew today was going to be busy." I told her.

They nod their heads as I grab my cardigan and purse, to place it on the bed next to Barbra and Betty.

Barbra must've noticed something was wrong, but she didn't say anything as she looked at me quizzically.

"Hey Em," I heard Barbra say.

I look up at her with a confused look. "Hm?"

"May I speak with you, in private please?" She asks.

I silently gulp down my nervousness and gave her a small smile.

"Sure."

We both head out into the hallway and walked about it away from the open ward.