Chapter 18

Warning!!!
This is the start of December 7, (just the start of it) so just a fair warning.

Next chapter will, and I will put warnings on every chapter with what will be in it.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

——
As I sat there with my back against the door, I heard footsteps approach. I lifted my head up to see the person I didn't want to see at the moment.

"Em? Are you okay?" She asked me gently.

Anger and frustration burned in my core, as I lightly glared at her. I then stood up, brushed off my skirt, took off my heels, and walked away from her to my shared bedroom.

"Evelyn, I don't want to talk to you right now." I told her.

Before I was able to open the door, she grabbed my arm and all the pent up emotions, that were bottled inside me for a the last month, broke open.

"Evelyn, when I say I want to be left alone, it doesn't mean to come and follow me down the hallway to ask me what happened, when I obviously don't need your help!

Can't you see when enough is enough and when not to cross boundaries that aren't meant to?! So why don't you go back to bed and dream about the wonderful night you had with Danny in the parachute hangers, while I had to stand there and watch my relationship with him fall apart!"

The moment the words fled out of my mouth, Evelyn went pale as a sheet as shock painted across her face at my outburst.

My eyes widen as I placed my hand over my mouth and looked at her with regret and sadness.

"I-I'm so sorry." I whisper before retreating into the bedroom as I quickly got out of my clothes and into a silk nightgown.

The words plagued my mind as I crawled into bed and tried to sleep, but wasn't able to until 1:00 A.M., when my brain was able to rest.

That night, everything seemed to crash and burn, as emotions were tossed around and closed wounds seemed to open back up.

December 6, 1941

Closing the glass cabinet doors and fixing my apron, I turn my gaze to the clock for the time and to be surprised that it was only 12:40.

Shaking my head, I picked up the empty tray and placed it onto the cart, and grabbed my purse from the bed, to reapply a layer of lipstick.

Just before I was able to turn around, the sound of shoes hitting the tile floor started to approach me.

"May I help you?" I ask politely.

Just as I turn around, every fiber in my body froze as my breath hitched and tears started to collect on my waterline.

"Ethan?"

He gives me a smile and holds his arms out, giving permission to hug him. I rush over to him, with tears streaming down my cheeks, and hugged him hard.

"Hey, it's been a long time since I've seen you sis." He says, while hugging me back.

I chuckle a bit and bury my head into his shoulder as tears fell uncontrollably. After standing there hugging for a couple seconds, I pull away and wiped my tears away, smiling.

"So, what did you need, or did you find out I was here?" I tease him.

He laughed, "No, I did something to my hand, so I came here to see what was wrong with it."

I nod my head and point to one of the beds, telling him to sit there.

"Okay well, let me see it."