Apologies

Frank ran back to his cell as fast as his shaking legs would go. He jumped onto his bed and pulled the covers around him. He could hear the guards' whistles and shouting from across the way, knowing that the fight would soon be broken up and everyone thrown in their cells.

He kept thinking about Gerard and his friends coming to his aid. Why would he do that? Was it just for the opportunity to piss off Bert? Or did he actually care for Frank's welfare? He felt guilty for running away and leaving them to it. He knew he would be no help though – he was too shaken up by Bert's threats.

Not long after, he heard cell doors being slammed and Bob appeared at his doorway.

"You know anything about what caused all that, kid?" he asked Frank.

"No" Frank lied with ease.

"You sure? Nothing to do with you?"

Frank didn't reply.

"None of them are talking – surprise, surprise," he added looking questioningly at Frank.

Frank just shrugged his shoulders, hoping the look of guilt wasn't plastered all over his face.

"Fuck! I knew there'd be trouble where you were concerned" he sighed. "Like I said, just stay away from them, yeah? It will only mean problems for you."

'I wish to holy fuck that I could' Frank thought to himself.

Instead, he just nodded.

"Was anyone hurt?" he asked as Bob was about to leave.

"Just cuts and bruises and a couple of cracked ribs I would expect" he replied. "Nothing less than they deserve."

With that he left, apologising that cell doors in the whole wing would remain locked for the majority of the day due to the incident.

Frank was honestly relieved about that. He wished they were locked every fucking day.

-----------------------------------

The following day, he caught sight of both Gerard and Bert, and honestly, Gerard looked like he had come off worse from the fight. He had a cut above his blackened eye, his lip was swollen and torn, and he was holding himself as though his ribs were sore.

Frank felt so guilty. But grateful too.

He knew he would have to speak to him at some point to thank him. He wasn't sure how though. Even though they had had maybe one pleasant conversation, Frank still found himself wary of him and intimidated by him.

He spent most of the morning with Pete, both avoiding Bert wherever possible. He spotted him a few times and received a few suggestive blow job hand gestures from him. He shuddered, knowing it was probably only a matter of time before the guy got to him again. He could tell that Bert was on a mission now. And he seemed determined to win.

Later on in the courtyard, he spotted Gerard sat alone for once. He decided he would go over and simply apologise and thank him at the same time.

Taking a deep breath, he made his way over to him.

Without even looking up, Gerard said "You ok, Frank? Something on your mind?"

"I, I, um" Frank stumbled over his words. "I just wanted to say thank you for what you did yesterday. And also, to say sorry for what happened to you."

"That's ok" he replied looking up at Frank now. He squinted a little as he faced the bright sky, but his eyes seemed to burn into Frank's, and the smaller man felt his cheeks begin to flame. How the hell did he keep managing to make him feel like that?

Unknowingly, Gerard was having the same battle with himself. Frank stirred up something in him that was really unnerving. He couldn't seem to keep away from him, and he was constantly plaguing his mind. He had some magnetic hold over Gerard, that made him crave this little punk more every time he saw him.

Frank was about to simply walk away having said what he had come to say, but instead found himself sitting down on the grass opposite Gerard.

"Are you badly hurt?" he asked, genuinely concerned.

"Nah, I've had worse" Gerard shrugged.

"What's the deal with you and Bert?" Frank found himself asking.

Gerard looked at him with surprise.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well, you've clearly got beef with each other" Frank continued. "What's it all about?"

"Hmmm" Gerard started. "We were actually very good friends when we first arrived here. We both got here about the same time and just seemed to get along. But after a while he started to prey on certain people in here, and I wasn't ok with that. He saw it as a game and just loved to make people's lives hell – like he's doing with you now."

Frank sighed and nodded for him to continue.

"He would set his sights on someone, and make it his mission to.....you know?" he continued.

"I was told you were the same" Frank said quietly.

"Well I'm NOT," Gerard shouted. "Who fucking told you that?" he demanded.

"One of the guards" Frank replied quietly.

"Fucking Bob, by any chance?" he spat.

Frank didn't say anything. He didn't want to betray Bob's trust.

"Look Frank," Gerard said, "I'm not gonna lie to you. I have had my fair share of guys in here. I'm fucking, genuinely gay, and after so long in here, your fucking hand doesn't always do it for you if you get what I mean."

Frank stood to leave, glaring at him angrily. Bob was right, he was just after his dick. The look he must have given Gerard was enough for him to understand what he was thinking.

"No" Gerard shouted. "I'm not like fucking Bert. I would never push myself onto someone if they didn't want the same. Whatever I have done with anyone has been totally consensual. And I'm fucking pissed that you've been told otherwise. Is that why you're scared of me? You think I'm gonna fucking rape you or something. Jesus fuckin' Christ."

Frank didn't say anything, just picked at the grass below him. He hated that people could see that he was scared. Gerard was clearly furious. He ran his hand through his hair and his shoulders were taught with tension.

He was angry but his chest ached at the thought of Frank thinking him the same as Bert. Being afraid of him. He would never hurt him. Would never hurt anyone unless they deserved it. He was sad that Frank wouldn't give him the chance to get to see the real Gerard.

"I just wanted to get to know you Frank," he said quietly. "I thought we might get along, but I can see what you think of me. I won't bother you anymore."

It was his turn to stand to leave now, but Frank stopped him.

"No. I didn't say that" Frank stammered. He had no idea why he wanted to be in Gerard's company. Well, he did - he thought he was hot as fuck - but it was more than that. He could also see them getting along, and he was finding it harder and harder to stay away from him.

Gerard sat back down and weakly smiled towards Frank. His heart nearly exploded when he was rewarded with the smile that he was really falling for being returned.