Daydreams & Nightmares

Frank lay on his bed and closed his eyes. He'd had another run-in with Bert and his head was pounding as a result. Bert didn't hassle him as much anymore, but whenever he was alone and encountered him, he got some form of verbal abuse. This had happened earlier that morning, leaving him with a headache.

It was late summer now and a chill spread across the prison as the afternoon wore on. Frank pulled his bed covers a little tighter around himself and tried to drift off in the hope his headache would be gone when he woke.

He allowed himself to fall into his usual daydream of him and Gerard when they were both on the outside. He imagined them in a tidy little house or apartment, where they would cook together and sit in front of their TV cuddling watching movies, or taking walks along the coast with their dog. What he couldn't wait for more than anything, however, was waking up together and basking in their sun-drenched bedroom for however long they wanted; doing whatever they wanted with each other. Not having to snatch stolen moments wherever possible. They could be themselves and lie in each other's arms all day long if they so wished. He knew Gerard wanted this too, and just hoped they would survive being apart when Frank was released and Gee remained to finish his sentence. The fiery redhead had gotten into a few scrapes lately, however, and Frank had warned him to behave, not wanting more time added to his stay.

His brief nap was disturbed by an almighty commotion from down the passageway. He heard guards shouting and feet running along the metal walkway. Rubbing his eyes he sat up and wondered what the hell was going on now. Barely a day went by without any drama in here. He dropped back down onto his back and threw his arm over his face in the hope they would all shut up soon. More and more guards hurried past his cell shouting to each other for help.

"Fuckin' hell" he mumbled to himself as he sat up and admitted defeat to sleep.

It finally grew quieter a short while later, so he decided to go and have a look at what the hell had been going on. Gerard would know. Gerard knew everything that went on in here.

He pulled on his shoes and headed towards his boyfriend's cell. Padding along past several other cells, he spotted the guards were actually gathered outside Gerard's. Picking up his pace, he was stopped as he arrived there.

"You can't go in son," Bob told him.

"Why? What the fuck's going on Bob?" Frank asked.

"Just go back to your cell, Frank!" Bob replied. "I'll come and see you when I can."

Frank suddenly felt worried and pushed his way forward. He had an uneasy sinking feeling building in the pit of his stomach. He managed to squeeze his small shoulders between Bob and another officer, before being grabbed back and ordered again to go back to his own cell. He pulled himself free and pushed on towards Gerard's open cell door. What he saw made him almost fall to the floor. Gerard wasn't in there, but what was, was a huge pool of blood.

Feeling his own blood drain from his face, he fell backwards into Bob's grip.

"What the fuck?" he shouted. "Bob?"

"Frank," he replied softly. "Go to your cell. I'll come by in a little while."

"No Bob" Frank yelled. "Where's Gerard? Where is he? Has he hurt someone? Has there been an accident? Bob?"

"Frank! I'm telling you to go back to your cell. Right now!" Officer Bryar ordered sternly, making Frank focus a little.

Frank's legs turned to jelly and he headed back to his cell in a daze. He slid down the wall and pulled his knees to his chest, suddenly feeling cold and sick. He couldn't think straight, the image of the red puddle refusing to leave his mind. He knew it was Gerard's blood, yet he tried to convince himself otherwise. He felt cold and was suddenly shaking in shock. All that blood! Fuck. What had happened?

After what felt like hours to Frank, Bob arrived at his cell door. He jumped up from his position and demanded Bob to tell him what the hell was going on.

Bob explained that Ray had found Gerard on his cell floor. He was only semi-conscious and had lost a great deal of blood. It seemed that someone had stabbed him in the stomach (probably with a makeshift weapon), and left him to bleed out.

Bob knew about Frank's and Gerard's relationship and had actually come to accept it. He told Frank that Gerard had been rushed to the local hospital and promised to keep him informed. He did warn him though, that he was in a critical condition and not to expect him back any time soon – he almost said "if at all", but didn't have the heart to say it to this fragile man who looked smaller than ever at that moment.