7

Amelia walked down the hallway with Maxine, Abby, Norah, and Ginny. They were talking with Ginny about their various programs at the school and how different clicks hanged out by different colored walls.

"And here we have berry tree, for the sophomores," Norah said waving her hands up in the air as they stopped up by a tree with decorations and a chair by its side.

"The cool sophomores" Max corrected.

"Cool? We're not cool" Abby let out from beside Ginny. They were all standing in a circle except Norah who had sat down in the chair.

"Cool people say they're not cool, so we're cool"

"That's not completely true though, Some cool people like to gloat about being cool" Amelia stated as she sat down in Norah's lap.

"Yeah, but that's the "I peaked in high school" cool" Max responded before her attention landed on a girl who was approaching them.

"Hey, A-MAN!" The girl shouted across the hallway.

"Oh, people call us a-man, Amelia, Maxine, Abby, Norah, because we are inseparable" She explained to Ginny which caused Amelia to look guilty onto the floor. She had been pretty absent the last week.

"Samantha has been trying to weasel her way in for years, but she is the definition of second-tier" Abby explained further, talking about the girl who was headed towards them.

"Guys! With Ginny, we can be GAMAN" Maxine let out excitedly.

Amelia gazed over at Abby as she responded with an awkward chuckle. All she could think was — here we go again.

"Come here," Abby said lowly as she started to drag the three of them after her. When they had gotten a decent distance away from Ginny and Samantha she said, "Why are you messing with A-MAN?"

"What, I like Ginny" Max answered slightly offended.

"I second that, she seems sweet" Amelia spoke out getting a "really?"  look in return from Abby. She knew she didn't want Ginny anywhere near their group, she was always on and on about the group dynamic, that's why Samantha wasn't allowed to join.

"Ok, well, I mean, she's fine, I guess" Abby agreed hesitantly.

As they kept walking through the crowded area Amelia felt someone bump into her, she turned around to see who it was only to see Marcus
staring back at her.

"Catch you later, kid," He said casually as he turned back around and walked away.

That was the first thing he had said to her in days.

"I'll be right back" She muttered out to her friends before she changed direction, and started to walk after him. When she had caught up, he was leaning on his locker, looking down at his phone.

"Seriously? You haven't talked to me for days and the first thing you say is "catch you later, kid"

"And, what's wrong with that?" he answered carelessly. His eyes were down on his phone as if she wasn't there at all and it annoyed her so much.

"You said things wouldn't be weird," She breathed out quietly as she looked down at her shoes.

"Things aren't weird" He denied.

"You've been avoiding me since we slept together and you won't even look at me. I would say that's pretty fucking weird" She let out starting to get heated. She looked around and nobody else seemed to have noticed the tension between the two of them.

"You seriously want to do this here?" He whispered back as he finally looked up from his phone. She could see he was uncomfortable, maybe he was afraid Padma would walk in on them talking like that.

"I took a pill to be safe, douchebag. I just wanted to let you know" She answered with a roll of her eyes as she stormed off.