43

Her head was pounding and her body was aching as Amelia got up from bed the next day. She stretched out her hand to grab her phone only to see that it was nearly evening. She should have gone to school that day, not that she cared anymore.

In fact, she was completely carefree for a blissful second. That was until she remembered everything. How all her friends hated her, Marcus probably didn't care for her, and how her mother had murdered her father.

She should have been bawling her eyes out. She should have been sad over not having anyone or grieving her father's murder but she felt absolutely nothing. It concerned her.

As she got up she took another sip of the liquid courage to ease the headache. She had hit complete rock bottom. The saddest part about it was that she knew and could do anything about it. She glanced into Marcus's window but the curtains were closed. It was a good thing, she didn't want to have to run into him.

She put her travel bag and backpack on the bed and started throwing all her things inside of them. Why? Because yesterday she realized she had become too alike her mother and she needed to escape so she didn't end up exactly like her. It had always been her worst fear. Imagine, while others tell their fear of spiders and the dark you have to tell them you're scared of turning into your parents. It was fucked up.

When done packing, she snuck into her mother's room, dragging the box she found the day before out from under the bed. With no second thought, she took all the money and put it in her backpack before putting the box right back.

When she got downstairs, she found her mother sleeping with the television still on. Little did she know her daughter was about to run away.

Flashbacks from before everything started entered Amelia's brain. She thought about how simpler everything used to be only a few months back. Sure, she wasn't happy, but she could play her part as if she was. She had everything while still having nothing. Not that she was in a state to judge how good her life used to be because as she looked back now all she could see was gray.

Maybe there was something wrong with her head because she could only ever feel the emotions she was feeling at the moment she had them. When she was sad or angry all her memories seemed to be only filled with those themes as well. She forgot all happiness she had felt, she forgot about the fact people used to care about her and love her.
In her mind, she was nothing but a burden who destroyed everything around her.

"Where are you going with all those bags?" A voice let out and as Amelia turned around she was met with her mother, wide awake.

"Um-" She responded weakly. "Peter left some of his football gear here so I'm just bringing it to him before his game"

She hoped her lying was at least semi-good. She needed it to be.

"Alright honey" Her mother mumbled with an uninterested tone before she laid back down on the couch, her eyes glued onto the screen. Amelia let out a sigh of relief and glanced at her mother one last time before she opened the door, planning on never returning.

She was about to go to the garage when- "Hey!"

"Fuck" She whispered to herself once she saw Marcus skating towards her, stopping completely up once he was in front of her.

"Hey" She answered back, her eyes trailing from his soft hair, bruised face, and plump lips before they went back into his eyes. It hurt to look into them.

"I didn't mean it was a mistake. I'm sorry. I..." He let out, his facial expression was desperate.

"It's okay...I promise" She lied.

"No. I shouldn't have said that. I didn't think it was a mistake" He continued and any other day she would have believed it. But, she was having these delusions that she wasn't good for him. That, eventually she would break him. She didn't want to break the one person she truly loved.

"I'm over it. Everything's...cool"

"Ok. Good" He breathed out as he stepped closer, his eyes glued onto her. "I do love you"

She looked away as her eyes started to water. When her glance landed back on him she couldn't help but put her hand onto his cheek, touching him one last time.

"Amelia?" He said gently, his eyes furrowed.

He could feel that something was off about her, the way she seemed so cold and distant although her hand was on his cheek. How she had eye-bags under her usually bright eyes and how she wasn't standing entirely steadily.

She leaned in and put her lips onto his, needing to feel that rush only he could give her one last time. He gave in, his hands landing on her hips as he moved her closer to him. It wasn't like their usual kisses used to be, it was passionate, slow, and full of emotions which Marcus couldn't fully understand what was.

"No matter what, I need you to remember I love you too, okay?" She said painfully as she broke off the kiss, her two hands cupping his face.

Marcus wrapped his hands around her wrists comfortingly, his eyes full of worry. It sounded a lot like a goodbye and he didn't like that. "You seem kind of off...I don't want you to hurt yourself"

"I won't. Everything's fine" She lied again with a smile that didn't seem to reach her eyes. She didn't want him to stop her, she needed to get away from him. For his own good.

"I can stay here if you like," He asked as he embraced her in a hug. He could see that she was lying, she was far away from being fine. He wondered if she had relapsed again, perhaps that was why she was acting so distant because she was ashamed.

"No, I need to go buy something from the store for my mom and I need some alone time" She lied for what seemed like the thousandth time that day. It pained her.

"Yeah. Yeah, ok" He nodded hesitantly before leaned in to give her a goodbye kiss which she dodged. He gave her a look of confusion but took it as just her wanting a bit of space. He gave her one last look before he jumped on his board again and let out, "I'll see you later!"

No, you won't.

Her smile dropped and her facial expression turned completely blank once he was out of sight. She opened her garage door only to see her mother's car that hadn't been used in ages. She unlocked it before getting in and turning on the engine, getting out of their property and onto the road.

And, as Daydream believer played over the radio, Amelia Blackwell drove off into the night with no plan and no place to go.

All she could do was follow the stars.